Skip navigation
NoahTChicoine
Currently Being Moderated

Same Colour Swatch different colour appearance between documents.

Nov 13, 2013 9:39 AM

Tags: #cs4 #indesign_cs4 #colour_changes #colour_shift

I'm using CS4 InDesign. I have two swatches that say they are the exact same colour yet they appear different between two InDesign documents. When I drag text between the two documents it automaticly switches to the other colour. Very confused by this, never run into it before wondering if anyone knows of a colour profile setting or something that I accidently changed or missed.

GreenIssue_03.jpg

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,118 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Nov 13, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to NoahTChicoine

The swatch is an out-of-gamut RGB color, so if there's transparency on the page, or you have Overprint/Separation preview turned on, it will be displayed in your document's CMYK space.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,118 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Nov 13, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to NoahTChicoine

You turn it off from the View menu. Having Proof Colors turned on might also preview the color as CMYK.

If the page is going to be printed on a CMYK press the overprint preview is more accurate. You would need to run an extra spot color to get the out-of-gamut green. If you define the swatch as a Spot color it won't change with overprint, the assumption being that the color will print as a 5th color and not be converted into CMYK.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,118 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Nov 13, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to NoahTChicoine

Convert the swatch to CMYK and the preview will be the same with Overprint on or off.

Oddly enough turning it on or off with the other document doesn't seem to affect it at all.

That document's Edit>Transparency Blend Space is probably RGB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points