Skip navigation
Darren Stanley
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to create many links Automaticly using OCR?

Nov 14, 2013 1:44 PM

Tags: #pro #links #portfolio #combine #hyperlinks

I have created a PDF document with 108 pages. Page 1 is an "index" to all other pages. is it possable to create links using OCR.

I have been able to setup each link manualy, which takes a very ling time (so many links and I would like to create many many simular documents).

Can this prosses be automated in any way please.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to Darren Stanley

OCR has nothing to do with creating links. And you didn't explain what kind of links you're creating, and based on what, exactly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Darren Stanley

So (some of) the numbers on the first page need to link to the pages, based on the Duty Number text on those pages? It might be possible to do it using a script, but this kind of script has to be custom-made, and is quite complex to write.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to Darren Stanley

Your PDF fine came from Excel - so you should be creating the links in the original document, not in the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to Darren Stanley

In that case, no - as the pages you're using as destinations don't exist until after the PDF has been created.

If this is a one-off, it'd be quicker to create them manually than work up a custom script. If you're doing it regularly then I'd move away from Microsoft products and build the documents in InDesign, where your 'index' page can use an automated table of contents instead of a manually-defined layout. You can place one-page PDFs into InDesign documents but you can't read the text inside them, so it will still require some manual setup.

The other option is to use the PDF bookmarks feature - when combining files in Acrobat you can ask for bookmarks to be created based on the original filenames, so provided your sheets have meaningful names that would pretty much automate the process.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 2:33 AM   in reply to Darren Stanley

Darren, did you see my PM on this subject?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points