Skip navigation
mmiller-henson
Currently Being Moderated

Are links to pages within a PDF file absolute or relative?

Nov 14, 2013 8:14 PM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #pro #links #absolute #relative #single #within #combine_multiple_pdfs

If I have a main PDF I combine with a bunch of "exhibit" PDFs into a single PDF with links from the main text to the "exhibits", but decide later to add or delete pages, are the pathways broken?  For example, if I have a 100-page document with a link on page 9 that jumps to an exhibit on page 62, and then I decide to add another page just after page 9, does Acrobat automatically update the link to reflect it should now jump to page 63?

If not and the pathway is broken (i.e., still goes to page 62 even though it is the wrong exhibit), is there a good method for creating a PDF where the main text has links to exhibits and pages can be added or deleted anywhere and the links will be automatically updated?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to mmiller-henson

It depends on how the links are created.

If they use the "go to a Page View" method, they will be updated.

If they use the JavaScript "pageNum = ??" method, they won't.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 1:50 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Just a note to consider something else. If you are making rich PDFs of this compexity, why not let someone else take care of the links? If you make it in InDesign or Word or certain other apps then convert to PDF in particular ways, the links are "live".  The value of this becomes clear as you revise the original and simply remake the PDF for each change.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to mmiller-henson

Ok, may not be practical in this case. If it was Word documents ONLY I would have suggested combining into one and linking within the file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points