• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has Adobe cut off linux users from updates to Flash?

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find  Adobe's quiet announcement of terminating further development of Flash for linux troubling and ultimately shortsighted. With HTML5 support in web content on the rise, you can't fight the tide by amputating entire segments of your user base. Take the GOP as an analogy.

"We" are in dire straits because our leadership has alienated every group but middle-aged WASP males that are so far to the right that Eisenhower would be labeled a liberal. In Texas, you can't even get on your party's ticket without pledging allegiance to all ultraconservative platform goals; we lose a lot of good candidates to that obstacle, and are starting to lose election races because of that tunnelvision.

Without current Flash versions available, I'll have to switch to sites that use HTML5 for business and entertainment options, meaning YOUR customers will be losing me as THEIR next customer, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My humble suggestion: Get the bugs out of 11.9, and when it's fixed, release the improvements as 12.0 for ALL PLATFORMS including Ubuntu linux.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Linux users (so I was told) do not comprise a high enough percentage of Flash Player end users to justify the continued development of Flash Player (outside of necessary security fixes). Those aren't my words.
Adobe based the decision on data obtained from their download servers. There simply weren't, and aren't, enough Linux users downloading Flash Player to warrant the expense of continued development. Add to that, the implementation of HTML5 for video (the primary use of the player), and the need for it is further reduced. Many, many Linux users are switching to Chrome (which has its own proprietary build of Flash Player), and away from Firefox. Personally, I don't understand that. I can't stand Chrome, but I'm not everyone.

As to your political ranting, this isn't the place for it. I already reported it once, and I'll have to report it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines