Skip navigation
SMMA
Currently Being Moderated

Show Text on button highlight

Nov 15, 2013 10:14 AM

Tags: #dvd_import #highlihghts #buttons_activate

I have a DVD menu created in Photoshop that does not look like it works when I preview it in Encore. The basic navigation is a series of 5 buttons on the left, with no text visible to begin with. When a button is activated, the text will show, as below:

AF_1.GIF

When the user moves to the next button, that text will disappear and the next text will show.

As far as I know the button layers are arranged correctly:

AF_2.GIF

The button group ( + ) Red contains the layers Red Stripe, which is the button itself; (=1) Red, which contains the Highlight elements, and the Red text layer, which is the "RED STRIPE REQUIREMENTS" text. The RED text layer has an opacity of 0%. The (=1) Red highlight element contains a white stroke for the button and the red fill for the text. Each of the 5 buttons work in the exact same way, using 5 different colors for each button.

When I import this as a menu into Encore and preview it, it doesn't match what I want to see. Is what I am doing in Photoshop done correctly, or do I need to change the way my layer structure is set up?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 15, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to SMMA

Looks good, but that's not the way DVD highlights work.

Each highlight is 2 bit, indexed color (one color). The actual color is determined by the color set in Encore. The option for "automatic" makes it appear you are setting the color in Photoshop, and that usually works.

But your main problem is that you can't have a white and red highlight in the same layer.

You set multiple colors using =1, =2, and =3.

See this part of the help file:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS59BED893-683B-492e-847C- 254257E34581.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to SMMA

Since there are 5 colors,

Right; only 3 colors.

FYI, there is a method to fake this usikng autoactivate to take you to a different menu that has the various button colors etc as part of the background image. This - won't work on computers because mouse over does not autoactivate.

Is there a way to make the text appear and disappear when the button is active without it being within the button folder?

No. Other than the "fake" method I describe above.

Another issue I am having is that because the Text layer is in the button folder, it appears that the Button boundary in encore goes from the left edge of the button to the right edge of the text. This is causing button selectability to go haywire, as the buttons now overlap each other.

DVD spec. The bounding box for the button, which must not overlap with any other button, is the smallest rectangle that includes all the elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to SMMA

Excellent!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers