Skip navigation
misterfrench
Currently Being Moderated

issue with 'open with' bridge cc

Nov 16, 2013 4:40 AM

hey all,

i've searched and all the discussions that 'start' with a similar question, get diverted, or people who are 'trying' to help don't really read the question, so here i hope to make is clear so the correct answer will be provided.

specs - windows 8, adobe cc suite (all updated), mainly use pshop, ai, acrobat, lightroom, dw.

BUT i have pshop and ai cs6 STILL installed, because a couple filters / plugins (nik) didn't work on CC when it was initially released.  so now nik (google) is all happy with CC so i uninstalled pshop / ai cs6.  but now in bridgeCC when i right click on an icon / file i'm given only one 'open with' option.  so if it's a pdf that i want to open with pshop or illustrator, it shows the default 'adobe acrobat' to open with, which is correct, but i used to get the option of acrobat / pshopCC / illustratorCC but now only acrobat.

i KNOW i can go to bridgeCC preferences and change the default to something other than acrobat but then it won't give me acrobat anymore. i want the old options of having a CHOICE as the pdf may be best edited in illustrator or pshop.

even when going to bridge FILE>OPEN WITH it only gives one option.

thinking it may have been that i uninstalled pshop / ai cs6, i then uninstalled bridgeCC and redownloaded but it still gave me only one option on 'open with'

this was caused by UNINSTALLING pshop cs6 and ai cs6.  i know this as fact because i did a system restore and the options came back.  but since i'm not using pshop / ai cs6 anymore, i would like to uninstall them to as i'm not using them.

i've seen other people with this issue but the answer is never clear or gets sidetracked to a regedit issue, which i don't believe is true as when i right click on a file in windows explorer i can do PROPERTIES and change the associate file with but to be clear in BRIDGE CC i want MULTIPLE OPTIONS of programs / apps to open a file with.

hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to misterfrench

As you noted there are a lot of post about adding Open With.  Look at this link and if it works please report back.  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program .html

Also, there are frequent posts of associatons being disrupted when a previous version is uninstalled.  Unless you really need the space it is recommened you leave as is.  Or unilstall all Adobe programs, run the Script Cleaner, then install new program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to misterfrench

It is probably an OS issue.  When you install a program the OS searches and locates other programs that could be used to open files and adds to open with list.  In addition Bridge, like other software uses many subrouties of the OS for copy, paste, move, right click options, etc..  When you click the folder view it is reads the file structure as shown in the OS.

If you go into file associations and browse to a different program  it apparently only changes it to the default.  What you are asking for is to just add options.  Believe the only path left is to add it in the OS like the link above outlines.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to misterfrench

You can add anything you want via scripting, here is an example of setting up Photoshop CS5, Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 to OpenWith.

Save the script as PLAIN text and save it with a .jsx extension.  In Bridge goto Preferences - Startup Scripts and click the "Reveal My Startup Scripts"

this will open the folder where the script should be saved.

#target bridge
    //Examples of Open With
    //Photoshop CS5
    var photoshopCS5 = new MenuElement("command", "Send to Photoshop CS5""at the end of submenu/OpenWith");
    photoshopCS5.onSelect = function (){
    var photoshopCS5Path = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\\Photoshop.exe";
    var sels = app.document.selections;
    try{
        for(var a in sels){sels[a].openWith(photoshopCS5Path); };
        }catch(e){alert(e)}
    };
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    //Photoshop CS6
    var photoshopCS6 = new MenuElement("command", "Send to Photoshop CS6""at the end of submenu/OpenWith");
    photoshopCS6.onSelect = function (){
    var photoshopCS6Path = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\\Photoshop.exe";
    try{
        for(var a in sels){sels[a].openWith(photoshopCS6Path); };
        }catch(e){alert(e)}
    };
    /////////////////////////////////////////////
    //Illustrator CS6
    var illustratorCS6 = new MenuElement("command", "Send to Illustrator CS6""at the end of submenu/OpenWith");
    illustratorCS6.onSelect = function (){
    var illustratorCS6Path = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\\Support Files\\Contents\\Windows\\Illustrator.exe";
    try{
        for(var a in sels){sels[a].openWith(illustratorCS6Path); };
        }catch(e){alert(e)}
    };

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status