Skip navigation
jon6569
Currently Being Moderated

Trimmed Project sequence not working

Nov 16, 2013 6:03 AM

Tags: #cc #trimmed_project #media_not_linking #project_manager_problem

Using Premiere Pro CC on Mac OS 10.7.5

The edits in a Trimmed Project sequence are showing diagonal grey lines for a client of mine.  He has Premiere Pro CC as well, on a Mac (don't know what OS version).

MEDIA ISSUE.jpg

I used Project Manager to Create New Trimmed Project.  I sent him the created Trimmed Project folder on a drive.  When he opens the Premiere file, the media links just fine to the clips in the Project Bin, but he gets diagonal grey lines on the edited clips in the Sequence. 

To add further confusion, if you Match Frame on any clip in the Sequence, it calls up the frame in the Clips monitor perfectly.  If you right-click on a clip in the Sequence and select Reveal in Finder or Reveal in Project, that works as well.  The diagonal grey lines usually indicate the media ends before the edit does, but Match Frame shows that these are indeed the right edit points. 

In Project Manager, I chose:

Create New Trimmed Project

Exclude Unused Clips

Include Handles (30 frames)

Remame Media Files to Match Clip Names (I have also done a test with this box unchecked, with the same results)

I have been able to replicate this problem only one time on my computer, after moving the Trimmed_ folder to a different drive. Usually diagonal grey stripes signify that the media is shorter than the edit in the sequence, right?

One last clue for you : this is a 30-second promo edited from one 60-minute 80GB ProRes file. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions and thanks for reading this.

--jon--

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to jon6569

This just happened to me last night. I used the project manager to try and trim down the media. My media has all been transcoded to prores. It runs, but when I open up the project, I have hashes all over the place. I should add that I closed the project, reorganized the files (as the project manager puts everything all in one folder) and then reopened the project. Everything linked up fine, but now I have the hashes. I don't remember whether the hashes were there right after project manager complete, before I reorganized the files. Trying to relink it to the clip in the bin with 'Replace with Clip' just makes a mess.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to jon6569

Have you tried sending the original project instead of the trimmed one?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to jon6569

OK, if the original project, with the original media, is giving you the stripes, then someone on the other end has not linked the media correctly.  Those stripes indicate missing media.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I've confirmed a problem a couple of times now. What I do is start with my project, containing 2 sequences, one long version and a short version. The two versions have footage in common. Some of the clips used are different sections of an interview. Most all the assets are ProRes. I go into project manager and choose:

Create new Trimmed Project, Exclude Unused Clips, Include Handles (24), Rename Media to Match Clip Names.

Premiere Pro creates a new directory with a bunch of trimmed clips and all the other audio, graphic, etc. assets, and a new project file. The footage files are named like

AA00571

AA00571_001

AA00571_002

When source footage was used in more than one place in the sequences.

When I open the generated PPro file, all of the clips on the timeline have hashes through them.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to jon6569

jon & Cameron: Exactly what version are you on? I find one bug report specific to using File Manager with ProRes footage, which was fixed in 7.0.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to jon6569

Which way are the diagonals?  Top left to bottom right, or the reverse?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to jon6569

OK.  That is indeed the 'missing media' indicator.  (The other direction is the 'locked track' indicator.)

You're saying that if you put the CTI over a diagonal section, you can see that clip in the Program Monitor?  It's not black?  And there are no other clips in other tracks above or below that diagonal section?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 8:07 PM   in reply to jon6569

Match Frame doesn't always work correctly, so that's not a reliable indicator here.

I'm sticking with my original diagnosis.  Someone on the other end has incorrectly relinked the clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to jon6569

We had this exact problem with one .wav in a 20 minute short film. We were handed the cc files and all original media (on original hard drives). Everything linked up correctly except for that one wave file. I could still 'reveal in project/finder' just fine.

With those clips I could use the slip tool on the clip with zebra stripes and immediately the clips were available. The only problem is that the in/outs on the edit were wrong. We hypothosized that somehow the edits ins/outs are being saved or interpretted well before or after the actual timecode of the source clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to ryanfreng

Jon and I work together and this problem has become mine, his, and all of our contractors. And now we have a workaround.

Here's the solution, I'm so thrilled that this works:

1. take all your media out of the trimmed project folder and put it in a different folder somewhere else

2. launch the trimmed project

3. the offline window comes up automatically with a list of missing clips. UNCHECK the align timecode box and manually reconnect all the trimmed clips.

4. zebra stripes gone. sequence plays. huge sigh of relief. productivity restored.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to benita

Hello,

Tried your fix and not working for me, has anyone else found an alternative solution.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Miro303

Hi Miro,

I was just experiencing a similar problem today.  In my situation I was getting the diagonal lines and the new project wasn't actually being trimmed, it was the same size as the original with all of the media from the original project .

It turns out that even though I was selecting 3 specific sequences out of 20 the Project Manager was ignoring that selection, it brought over those 3 sequences but all of the media from the other sequences.  I think this is what was creating the problem.

The trim unused media box  (or whatever the check box says) was greyed out.

My solution was to create a new clean project and import the 3 sequences I wanted to create a new trimmed project from.

Then using the Project Manager everything worked as expected, the project was trimmed down and there were no diagonal lines.  I unchecked the "rename media" option, not sure if that was necessary part of the solution.

This seems like a bug to me, we shouldn't have to create a new project, it's an extra unwanted step and clutter on our systems.

Hope that helps! 

I'm on Mac 10.8.5 and Premiere 7.0.1, eagerly awaiting to update once the bug fixes to the bug fixes are fixed.

Gerry

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points