Skip navigation
bozo$
Currently Being Moderated

LR5 - lost connection to picture files. Now what?

Nov 16, 2013 8:18 PM

Tags: #catalog #lost #library #lost_files. #lr5.3

3 days ago I followed the advice of Barbara Brundage from Elements Magazine and deleted some files from Elements Organizer which were causing people problems. I had previously used organizer for my pictures but LR adopted the jobe about a month ago. Today I upgraded LR from 5.2 to 5.3 and then began editing pictures. When I tried to delete a picture a message came up to the effect that the file could not be permanently deleted from the disk since it could not be found. It offered the possibility of erasing the file permanently still. I chose that and the picture disappeared  and a small box flashed by which said that the file could not be found. The number of files in the folder didn't change.

How do I reconnect to the picture files which are in a stand alone hard drive - And - will the editing I did today be lost of subsequently be connected to the appropriate picture files/

Thanks for your help

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to bozo$

Reconnecting can be done via: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Having two "Organizers", one in Lightroom, and one in PSE, containing the same photos, will continue to cause headaches, and in my opiinion is not a good idea. The best solution is to use Lightroom as your "organizer" and PSE as an additional editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to bozo$

The problem you are having is caused by using two different programs to manage your images. You indicated that you deleted certain files in the Elements Organizer, and apparently those files are now missing in Lightroom. When you import images into Lightroom, you are not moving or creating a different copy from what you were using in Photoshop Elements. The import process simply shows Lightroom where those images are located on your hard drive. Since you deleted images in the Elements Organizer, the files are missing from the disk but Lightroom is not aware they have been deleted. So that is why you are getting the message and having problems. If you insist on using both programs it would be better to delete the unwanted images in Lightroom. Doing so will delete the files from the disk and remove them from the Lightroom catalog. And they will also be deleted in Photoshop Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to bozo$

I don't know what is the problem with deleting photos, however ... you say you get the following error message ...

The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?

Perhaps you cold tell us what kind of drive it is, and how it is attached to the computer. I think that would be a relevant piece of information.

and the current changes are not made to the pictures in the hard drive file.

Lightroom does not make changes to the pictures in the hard drive file. It does not work that way. The image portion of your photos are never changed by Lightroom, and if you view the photos outside of Lightroom (and outside of other Adobe software), they will appear to be un-edited.

By request, by setting the proper option or issuing the proper command, you can have the edits you made written as text to xmp (which unless you have RAW files) is embedded in the actual photo file.

With regard to deleting the Organizer from Photoshop Elements, you can (safely) delete the Organizer's catalog file. But if you're not using the catalog file, it isn't causing any of your problems that you are now experiencing in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to bozo$

Not the case. Files I deleted weeks ago in LR remain in Organizer.

Your files were never stored in the PSE Organizer. Similarly, your files are never stored in Lightroom.

What you are seeing in Elements is that Elements still displays a thumbnail of your file, but it will not be able to find the photo (because it is deleted), so Elements can no longer perform any actions on this photo. There should be a question mark icon on the photo in Organizer.

But ... as we have already said ... you shouldn't be using Organizer any more.

Regarding deleting files, can you delete a file from this drive using your operating system? If not, what is the error message?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to dj_paige

It sounds like the files referenced in Organizer that are accessable are at a different physical volume location than the one referenced in LR. Look at the volume or drive names in Organizer and LR and see if they are different.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to bozo$

Others here have explained that your image files are not "inside" Lightroom, they are merely "mapped" (i.e. referenced) in the Catlog file and then that folder structure is displayed in the Library module. LR also creates  its own  "Preview" images" and stores them in the Previews folder. If you move or delete image files from outside of LR using Finder or Orgaizer the images are still visible inside LR, but now they will have a '?' (LR4) or '!' (LR5) symbol on them in the Library module and the message 'The file could not be found' in the Develop module.

You keep mentioning that you can't "delete" image files from inside LR, "Files I deleted weeks ago in LR remain in Organizer." You also said, "When I tried to delete a picture a message came up to the effect that the file could not be permanently deleted from the disk since it could not be found."

This indicates that LR's Library module "reference map" no longer see's the files and so they are consider "Missing Files." Changing the top-level 'Pictures' folder "name" or moving it under a new top-level folder on your external Seagate Free Agent Goflex drive will cause this to happen if done outside LR using Finder or Organizer.

When this happens if you try to "edit" the images in LR's Develop module the message 'The file could not be found' will appear in the Loupe preview. In all of your posts you've never mentioned any issues trying to edit the files inside LR. What happens when you try to make adjustments to one of the images that you can't "delete?"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to bozo$

bozo$ wrote:

The problem  remains that when I try to Delete a picture file in LR, instead of the box I used to get which gave me the choice to delete it from the disk and then did that when I selected that choice, I NOW get the message I reported previously "The files are on a Volume that does not support Trash. Would you like to Permanently delete them?”   I select “Permanently delete”, the box closes and another flashes on and off. It says “File could not be found”.

I did a search on the above message and pulled up a this post with the same LR issue after upgrading from Snow Leopard to OS X to Lion.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3818807#3818807

"You might need to make sure the external drive is set to ignore permissions. This sets special ACLs for removeable media. Every release of OS X tweaks these a little."

Message was edited by: trshaner Corrected URL

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to bozo$

This is most likley the root-cause of your LR issues. There are "fixes" listed in the post link I provided.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to bozo$

David, could you please provide specific details on what you did that resolved the issue with your external hard drive's Trash Bin. This will help others who have the same problem and find this post.

Thank You,

Todd

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to bozo$

Tried this today, and indeed it works. Unfortunately, the effect is gone upon reboot, and as I shut down my entire system every night...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to bozo$

Apparently, the error message (Permanently delete) does not return upon rebooting the system. It does, however, upon emptying the trash. So we might assume that as long as the newly created and deleted folder remains in the Trash...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to bozo$

If that can be done; I admit, I sometimes let the deleted items accumulate in my Trash, but every once in a while I will delete what's in it. That then includes stuff both deleted from the internal and from the external disk. But if the stuff from the external disk is deleted, well... there we go again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points