Skip navigation
Creer
Currently Being Moderated

PC System

Nov 17, 2013 5:17 PM

Tags: #help #graphics #card #system #cpu #ram

Hi,

I want to configure and build a new PC for my Dad. He wants to use it for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 and maybe in the future for a newer version. Normally I configure PCs for games and OC XD So I am not 100% sure about some points of my config.

What I have in my mind right now is the following Hardware Setup:

ASRock Z87 Extreme6

Intel i7 4770

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB on 2133Mhz

Now there are two things in my mind I can't stop thinking about:

1. Graphics card: I know that Lightroom doesn't use the GPU much and he doesn't has a 10Bit Panel. So there is no reason to get a great graphics card or a Quadro K600 or higher. I am thinking about using the on board GPU from the CPU or the graphics card from his old PC.

My questions:

Is the GPU from the i7 4770 good enough for Lightroom even for the newest version?

When I use the on board GPU from the CPU does that have an impact on the performance of the CPU?

2. RAM: I know that there is not much of a performance improvement in games if you take an overclocked RAM.

My questions:

Is there a performance improvement in Lightroom if I take an overclocked RAM and if yes should I get a even higher clocked one?

I hope you can help me a little bit. The Support send me over here.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 17, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to Creer

Creer,

Since Lightroom isn't optimized to take advantage of GPU capabilities, you can use the onboard GPU without any worries. In the second part of your first question, using the onboard GPU doesn't have much impact on the CPU performance, but the CPU and GPU share the same RAM in the onbboard configuration, so that is something to consider. Again, for Lightroom, this isn't an issue.

As far as RAM is concerned, the speed of the RAM for Lightroom isn't as important as having a good quantity of it. Lightroom isn't pumping tons of data through the pipe as you'd find in a gaming environment. So, overclocked RAM would not make a noticeable difference with Lightroom.

mh++

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points