Skip navigation
jtrip
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 - Can't read my menu/scenes under preview

Nov 18, 2013 7:02 AM

When I preview the menu the menu and scenes show up for about 5 seconds and then they become unreadable.  They are blurry.  When I burn DVD you can see the writing for the menu/scenes but can't tell what it says.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to jtrip

Preview won't show you what your final menu will look like. It's just a preview of the animation.

Depending on the power of your computer and what you're using for source video, in fact, the Movie Menu previews can look pretty ugly.

But don't worry. They menus will look great when you output the finished DVD or BluRay.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to jtrip

jtrip

SG writes

But don't worry. They menus will look great when you output the finished DVD or BluRay.

But you have just said to the contrary

When I burn DVD you can see the writing for the menu/scenes but can't tell what it says.       

I would agree that the disc menu preview is not the greatest. The Preview gains its merit in checking the remote nativational buttons.

But, when you get to finished product and the blurs persist, then we need to troubleshoot further and determine if it is a menu limitation or other. Does the finished product have blurs or just small text?

1. What was your project preset set at? That will determine the set of disc menus that will be available for the project (s, w, or hd).

2. What specific disc menu did you select? Did you do any customization of the menu? If so, what? Often there are menus that need  help...text too small, color contrast could be better, etc.

3/ How are you viewing the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc...computer player, which one? TV DVD player, what size screen?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 10:04 PM   in reply to jtrip

jtrip

Your project may be set up for a HD project but your end product is going to be 720 x 480 (NTSC) 16:9 or 720 x 480 (PAL) 16:9 and not 1920 x 1080 16:9 of Blu-ray.

When you select a HD project preset, you are shown the hd set for the theme (HD in upper right corner). But Timeline and menus will be sized to the end product standard DVD-VIDEO which is as stated whether you use Premiere Elements or another video editor.

Does your Blu-ray player have enhanced playback for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

But, let me back up. I have been assuming that you are doing burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Are you instead doing burn to AVCHD on DVD disc?

And, as I asked before, if you call the pre-burn menu blurry, would you call the end product menu blurry or just too small text?

You have said that you have numerous videos. Have these all been DVD-VIDEO? Another thought that comes to mind...when you create these discs with menus, what is the Space Required and Bitrate in the Quality Area of the burn dialog? I am wondering if there is a possibility that these are large projects for which the program is lowering the bitrate to make the fit on the disc. If so, as the bitrate is decreased, the quality decreases. Would you say that the whole end product is below par or just the menus?

Lots to explore.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to jtrip

What size font are you using for your scene menu buttons?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

Thanks for the following up. It will be interesting to get Adobe's take on this.

If it took over your computer to look at the program without export, then I would not expect it to find any thing but the usual non perfect disc menu previews. Nothing has been done with that for several versions now. Based on what you said, our focus is on the export and not the pre-export disc menu preview. Did Adobe do an export of your Timeline and look at the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus playback?

Please confirm if you have played back these Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD on more than one TV DVD Player and/or computer?

Also, what happens to the issue if you customize the menus in the disc menu section of the project so that the font size is increased (maybe the font style changed) without creating overlapping buttons. Does the end product improve?

We will be watching for further developments from you and Adobe.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

Thanks for the follow up.

No. Did they charge you $40 for that "corrupt menu" diagnosis?

What did you purchase,  the boxed packaging with installation disc or downloaded installation files from Adobe?

In the past, blurry DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (the menus and the video) was periodically corrected by an uninstall reinstall of the program. But, I had never run into a situation where menus were signaled out leaving the video portion OK in those particular cases.

Be that as it may, let us get to work on the audio situation. What is the duration of the audio file that you are adding to the menu? And which menu..also main and scene or audio just to main? Is this happening with all audio or just this file?

This is where I am heading on this to rule in or out. No matter how great the duration of the audio that you add to those menus, you are only going to get 30 seconds looping. Recently a user questioned why only 13.4 sec instead of 30 for the Christmas menu. That was explained in my blog post

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/

The point to my mention of 30 sec looping max, is the possibility that the addition of audio with a long duration may be creating the issue.

Another factor is format. Are you working with, .mp3 or .wav for the audio addition to the menu?

Bottom lines for troubleshooting purposes at this time

a. try to use an audio with shorter duration...closer to 30 seconds

b. if you are using .mp3 audio, convert it to .wav in iTunes or other.

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

Thanks for reply. Appreciated it.

What is the file extension of the iTunes music? Are you dealing with .mp3 or something else?

Depending on how things are going, you might try converting what you have to .wav in iTunes or the free audio editor named Audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Please let us know if that had any impact on the issue along with the audio duration matter that I speculated on previously.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie,

If you are still having the menu audio issue and you want to explore the music format impact on your menu problem...

a. You may have a Folder Option preference set so that you are not seeing file extensions. If that should be the case, go to the computer's Folder Options/View Tab and look for "Hide extensions for known file types." Make sure the is no check mark next to it. You should be able to see the music file extension now.

b. iTunes, you could select your song, go to File Menu, Get Info/General. The file name with the file extension should be there, probably to the bottom of the dialog.

This how to convert to .wav using iTunes may help

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

Compatibilities change from time to time, from project to project, so we need to explore all the possibilities to catch the offending component in the feature.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

It may be the latest of the hour, but I have another "idea". It involves sneaking the audio insertion into the main menu by other the Movie Menu customization area within the program.

You said you are working with the New Reel theme, Premiere Elements 11. Is that correct?

Let me go try out my idea before I call it a day...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

Given you are using the Premiere Elements 11 Movie Menu News Reel under Movie Genre. When you are in the area that displays the menu choices, is the blue ban at the top of the News Reel thumbnail gone? If so, let us continue. If not, then you need to right click that blue ban and click on the "download now".

Moving forward...

When you open to the Movie Menu customization Preview, can you hear the Adobe music that was built into it? If so, what happens if you leave that music as is, continue to burn to disc? Problems or no?

This is the idea to sneak our personal music into the menu without going the Audio Background route within the program.

1. Follow the path

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Adobe

DVD Templates

All_lang

Movie Genre

News Reel

open the News Reel Folder and find the music file names newsreel_audio_bg.mp3. Move that file to the computer desktop for safe keeping.

2. Place a copy of your personal music file into the New Reel Folder. Rename your music file exactly newsreel_audio_bg.mp3 (at this point I am assuming you have the .mp3). If you have a .wav file, then rename that file newsreel_audio_bg.wav.

3. Close out of there. Open Premiere Elements 11 and check out your Movie Menu News Reel and its music and the status of your problem. Remember to judge the results on the quality of the playback of the export and not on the Preview in Movie Menu customization area.

Let us see if any of the above has not affect on the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to jtrip

Jodie

I followed your directions but when I got to DVD Templates the only folder under that was "common".  I can't seem to find the "all-lang" or "movie genre".

If, after double checking, this is still true, then we seem to be facing some sort of install issue.

Go to the computer's Folder Options, View Tab, and make sure that you have a dot next to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives". Then look for the News Reel Theme in the path indicated. Make sure you are starting with Project Data and not Project Files or anything else.

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Adobe

DVD Templates

All_lang

Movie Genre

News Reel

open the News Reel Folder and find the music file names newsreel_audio_bg.mp3. Move that file to the computer desktop for safe keeping.

I do not see why this suggestion should be the answer, but it is worth a try.

When you uninstalled reinstalled the program to get rid of the menu blurry text seen at export, did you do so with antivirus and firewalls turned Off?

I do not think that I have asked this before, but what happens if you use another music file (non iTunes, maybe one that came with the computer operating system. If you have Photoshop Elements, I believe that comes with sample music.

For example, if you have Photoshop Elements 11, you will find sample .mp3 files

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Music

Thanks for the follow ups. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points