Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any easy way to choose a codec to play an avi in Mac when double clicked?

Nov 18, 2013 4:47 PM

I see alot of information around the forum skirting this topic, but none seem to help.

Simply put. I have a Mac running Mountain Lion. I have .avi's transfrerred from my PC (created as an avi in Premier elements 9.0), that when double clicked, says i need a required Codec to play. (It would be so nice to double click and just play, and not have to dowmnload yet another program)

Looking for an easy solution ,,, and hoping someone has one :-)

Thanks,

Chuckj

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to chucktheweevil

Chuck

Important first question, probably asked before, what kind of AVI is this? How did you create it in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1? What are the video audio codecs?

What players do you have on your Mac computer?

Steve Grisetti should be along soon to share with you how he handles this in his Premiere Elements Mac computer setup.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to chucktheweevil

A Mac will not natively play an AVI (think war between Mac and Windows)

https://www.google.com/#q=mac+play+avi will help

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to John T Smith

If your AVIs are DV-AVIs -- the kind created when you capture over a FireWire connection from a miniDV camcorder -- they will work just fine in Premiere Elements Mac. In  fact, they work at least as well as DV-MOVs.

As John points out, you may not be able to play a DV-AVI in the Mac's Finder. But, if you've properly set up your Premiere Elements project for DV video, they will work just perfectly in your Premiere Elements project.

I'm curious how you got AVIs as your captured footage, by the way. Did you capture your video on a PC and then transfer it to your Mac for editing? (The Mac version of Premiere Elements captures DV video as DV-MOVs.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to chucktheweevil

Also, with Video, one does not choose a CODEC for playback. The CODEC is chosen at time of output, and is part of the file. What one must do is provide THAT CODEC for playback, on the system. Some players, like VLC and MediaPlayer Classic HC, also install with a wide range of CODEC's, that are available to the player, but atypically, those are not installed into the system, as is customary with most other CODEC's.

The embedded CODEC in your AVI file, will be what is required to play the file back, whether Mac, or PC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to chucktheweevil

On the Mac, Media Inspector can tell you all of the details in the AVI file. I do not think that that program has any limitations, but being a PC-only guy, I do have to admit that I have not used it.

Also, there are some CODEC's, that work great on a PC, but are not available for the Mac, but then some, for a Mac, that cannot be installed, and used on a PC. It just depends on the exact CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to chucktheweevil

To view those files in Finder,  you'll need to install an AVI player. VLC Player is a free download that should work.

Blame Apple for trying to make every file a Quicktime file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Thank you for posting the rec. for VLC Player. I was unaware that it worked on a Mac, so I just learned something. Such info is always appreciated, and especially by this PC-only guy.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points