Skip navigation
theplanckster
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 12 opens but not with photo?

Nov 18, 2013 8:14 PM

Tags: #file #elements #open #12

When I double-click on a photo file (e.g. jpg) Elements 12 opens but the photo isn't in the Editor window. Double-clicking on the photo again opens the photo in the Editor window.

On all the other versions of Elements I have used, one double-click on a file opened Elements and the photo appeared in the Editor window.

Is Elements 12 different or is there something I need to change to make this work as it always did?

Thanks for your helpl and time.

Jerry

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 19, 2013 2:03 AM   in reply to theplanckster

Hi Jerry, you need to set Windows default prefs.

Right click on a jpeg and choose Open with

Click Choose default program

Click Browse button

Click OS C:

Double click: Program Files (x86)

Double click: Adobe

Double click: Photoshop Elements 12

Highlight: PhotoshopElementsEditor

Click Open

Click OK

N.B on 32 bit systems navigate to Program Files

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 19, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to theplanckster

Can you re-check. You should be seeing Photoshop Elements 12 Editor. See this similar thread from Brian:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5790832

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2014 6:32 AM   in reply to theplanckster

I have a similar problem. With versions of Photoshop Elements prior to version 12, I was able to add an 'Open With' option in Windows so I could right-click on an image file, left-click on 'Open With', select the editor and the PSE Editor would launch with the image opened. I went straight to the editor if the image was jpg or straight to ACR if the image was DNG.

With version 12, I cannot add the Editor executable to 'Open With', and if I add the generic executable, the editor opens when I use 'Open With', but my image is not opened. I have to go to File, then either Open (or open as RAW), navigate to the image, and finally open it. This defeats the purpose of using 'Open With'.

I really have little need for the PSE Organizer, I want to open images directly from Windows Explorer in the editor of my choice, do my work and get out.  PSE 12 has features I want, but I may have to go back to PSE 11 unless somebody can provide a definative way to fix this - and I am pretty sure it will require a patch from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2014 7:15 AM   in reply to AgateReef

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the others in that discussion.

Your problem is the replacement of the 'Open with' option by the 'Open in ACR' one.

Adobe has its own reasons for that replacement:

- Increasing demand for raw development and similar workflow for raw and jpeg (the old way to open jpegs was a mystery for most users)

- Mac and Windows interface more similar?

- Getting rid of older and legacy formats...

The result is not ideal for all users, there has been a few complaints like yours.

Personnally, I am very satisfied with that change :

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80513

Of course, I do NEED the organizer .

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points