Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Data Merge Image Alignments

Nov 19, 2013 8:09 AM

Greetings,

I'm turning to this forum, as nothing I've tried has worked.  In a data merge using only merged images from a CSV Excel Workbook, everything is displaying generally the way I want.  But in one of the frames with a merged image the images will NOT align to the bottom of the frame!  I've tried setting the frame fitting properties *before* placing the image merge field into the frame.  I've tried selecting the previewed, linked image and configuring that.  Tried dragging the image. Nothing!  When I toggle the preview to refresh, it jumps right back up to the top left of the frame.

I know this is not the most widely used practice in InDesign.  But any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Rohlfie

Don't preview. It's a bug that affects many/most people. It can corrupt documents. Don't know if it is fixed in CC and as I won't install it, I cannot try in CC either.

Try draging your pre-merged elements into a new file. Trust the merge to work and merge to a new document and see if that works.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Rohlfie

Hi Bill--I am traveling between appointments and won't be able to test/try what you are experiencing until alter today. Hopefully someone else will be able to figure out what is happening, but if not I'll be back this evening.

I just wanted to let you know so you don't think I have dropped off the face of the earth...

What version of ID are you using?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to Rohlfie

Try the "clear frame fitting" option beforehand.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

I just tried it and it works without a hitch.  Feel free to share a file for further assessment.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

I had success using an object style. Just assigning the fitting options to a placeholder frame has been a bit buggy for awhile, but if you create an actual object style with the correct options, and apply it to the placeholder, it seems to work quite well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

Bill,

Here' s a straight forward example of what you're wanting to accomplish.  Note, I'm using InDesign CC.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86463671/Data%20merge.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

I have no idea what Bernie is doing, but here I have a .csv file with the paths to several hundred images that was used for an art show jury package (other fields contain information about the art and entrie numbers that key back to artists, whose names the jurors never see). I used that file as the data source for a new merge document, adding an image frame assigning my object style and dragging the path field into the frame. Are you doing something different? Are your frames onthe master page, or the document page? In my tests it doesn't seem to matter, but you never know.

As Mike mentioned earlier, pressing the preview button can corrupt a merge template. You should try copying the fields from the original template file and paste them into a new file, then try running your merge without the preview. My tests worked equally well merging to .indd and PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I tested in CS5.5 and CS6.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am not sure what Peter is referring to, but the INDD links to a .csv data source that references four images.  Frame fitting options are set to "align bottom."  When you create a merge document, all images are aligned according to the frame fitting options, in the source doc.  No toggling previews or object styles are needed.  I've included a duplicate CS 5.5 INDD file within the link.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Bernie X

Bernie X wrote:

I am not sure what Peter is referring to, but the INDD links to a .csv data source that references four images.  Frame fitting options are set to "align bottom."  When you create a merge document, all images are aligned according to the frame fitting options, in the source doc.  No toggling previews or object styles are needed.  I've included a duplicate CS 5.5 INDD file within the link.

I was typing before you posted, so didn't see your file...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

I looked at your file, then created a new template file, added two frame to hold the images, created the object style and assigned it to those frames, and ran a merge with your sample data. Worked perfectly with the Fit Images Proportionally default option chosen in the merge panel, but failed when I changed that to preserve teh dimensions (I don't think you mentioned that part, originally)

Probably a bug, but it doesn't make much difference.

Anyway, in the long run you might be much better off purchasing a decent handwriting font and storing all this as text, which can be edited and styled to be uniform in size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

Still working on this...

I got your files files to work.  First, under Frame Fitting Options for your frame, check Auto-Fit.  Second, under Content Placement Options (a Data Merge option) select Preserve Frame and Images Sizes. Then move your linked graphic wherever you like in the frame.  Lastly, preview the merge.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

Sure, just make sure all the images are cropped to the same canvas size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to Rohlfie

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Close but no cigar...Bill can continue his workflow as is with my suggestion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points