Skip navigation
Qprice43
Currently Being Moderated

How to Digitally Sign a Document Without Locking It

Nov 19, 2013 1:01 PM

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to digitally sign my document and all comments that I have made on the document without locking it (so you can still add pages and make alterations/comments to the document but not my own comments).

I do a lot of shop drawing reviews for construction where I review and sign the doucments prior to them going to the consultants for review. When the consultants review the drawings, they add a page of their own comments. When this happens, my digital signature is removed (understanably as this means the document has changed).

Essentially what I am looking for is a hybrid between the stamp option and the digital signature option, where i can put my "Shop Drawings Reviewed" stamp on the drawings and lock all comments (Text boxes, arrows, etc.) from being edited.

I am currently using Acrobat XI Pro on Windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Qprice43

Not really... What you can do is flatten the file, but someone with Acrobat will still be able to edit it, if they wish to, although it will be (a bit) more difficult to do.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,664 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to Qprice43

If you just need to prevent your comments/stamps from being altered or deleted via the user interface, you can use a script that sets them to read-only. If you'd need help with this, post again.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,664 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 19, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Qprice43

The trouble with flattening is it only converts the appearance to regular page contents and you lose all of the other properties of the annotation, the most important of which is usually the text content (i.e., the text you enter in the popup). Annotations that are flattened will no longer be present in the comments pane and can't be summarized, exported, etc. Setting to read-only will retain all of this functionality.

You can selectively flatten though, so that fields are unaffected, but this requires a script. The free JavaScript-based tool available at the following link makes this easy: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

Regarding your last comment about a shop drawing stamp, aren't you using a custom one you created?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Qprice43

I was just commenting that it would be nice to see a feature like "add stamp"

There is such a feature... Click on the Stamp tool and select Custom Stamps - Create Custom Stamp. You can even create dynamic stamps with fields that can contain user-input, but that's a more advanced task.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to Qprice43

Ah, OK, I guess I misunderstood... In principle it would be possible, I think, to embed a script that locks certain fields/annotations in the parent document when a stamp is applied, but it will have to be custom-written for your specific purposes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points