Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Use Pathfinder (intersect) with text and multiple brushes

Nov 19, 2013 1:07 PM

Tags: #illustrator #text #path

I'd like to apply a stamp effect on some text. But that's really complicated. Here's what I did:

1. Add some text

2. Convert the text to outlines and ungroup the glyphs, because otherwise it won't affect the text at all

3. Select a brush from the dirt brushes

4. Paint a few strokes across the text

5. Convert the brushes to paths as well

6. Remove the outer-most path of each brush stroke because they would likely cover everything - only the actual black spots must remain

7. Group the brushes

8. Copy the brushes because they will be eaten up every time

Now repeat the following steps for Every. Single. Glyph.

9. Move the brushes paths group to the background

10. Select a glyph and the brushes

11. Select Pathfinder -> Subtract background

12. Paste the brushes at the original position (except after the last glyph)

This is really too much for longer texts.

How can I apply those intersect effects on whole groups of objects, no matter what they are? There's also a rounded rectangle around my text that I need to handle separately as well. There must be an easier way.

PS: This is kind of where I got the idea: http://howto.nicubunu.ro/rubber_stamp_inkscape/ A plain brush didn't work well, although I used a tablet, so I tried brushes that already come with such a scattered effect.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to dg9ngf

Please show an example. Layers visible, appearances visible.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to dg9ngf

dg,

You may:

1) Create the text as live Type and change the Fill Color as desired (just click the Fill box in the Toolbox and set the colour in the Color palette, pick a swatch, or whatever), and the stamp frame if any (circles, whatever), and set the Fill/Stroke Color as desired;

2) Select whichever brush you like, set the Stroke Colour to white, and scribble on top of the Type/frame in 1) so you get the desired appearance;

3) Select everything and in the Appearance palette flyout (upper right arrow) tick Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked.

Edit: This was based on the link (to the NU stamp) in the OP; I cannot see any artwork appearing with the link in post #3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points