Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need to create a 'gradient mask' using a b&w photo image.

Nov 19, 2013 1:22 PM

I have not created a document yet and would like some thought on how to do this: I want to use a continuous tone black and white image which is somewhat close to what would be a 'knockout' but with soft edges - so it gradates appropriately over the background image I want to use, making the black part of the image used as the mask become much of the effect of a gradient mask: the background image shows through whereever there is the 'black' and 'tone' of the image. I hope this makes sense.

my first thought is to create a layer mask and then paste the black and white image onto that, but I'm not sure if that will work to accept the 'soft tones' of the image and work appropriately.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing that they can share what steps I should take to make this effect work?

TIA,

Ken

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Yes your layers mask will accept 256 shades of gray as a mask.

Option click on the mask, paste, and the use image >> adjsutments >> invert.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Such a mask can also be very useful in an adjustment layer to control color, sharpneess, contrast, luminance, etc.

See/search for PPW, Dan Margulis, Photoshop books on color corrections such as LAB or Photoshop workflow, or Italian site "color duels" or Yahoo group "colortheory".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points