Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Page numbering and booklet production

Nov 19, 2013 2:09 PM

Tags: #print_booklet #page_numbering #deleting_page_numbering

I have created a 28 page A5 booklet on A4 pages and numbered pages from 3 to end 1 to 26. i.e. pages 1 & 2 are not numbered. The a & b "numbering" that was applied to the first 2 pages I deleted by over-ridingthe master page items and deleting a & b. I then used Print - Booklet (as I have done successfully before) but the result was the pages not in the right order. Instead of the first page and last page being on the first spread and the inside cover and inside back cover and so forth on the next spread as it should be, they are out of sequence. First spread has inside back cover and front cover and so on.

How can I get rid of the page numbering and get this booklet to print properly? Deleting the master page (which only has page numbers on it) doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Begadoc

Sounds like you may have blank pages and you forget to check the Print Blank Pages box in setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Begadoc

Is the imposition set to 2-up Saddle Stitch, or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 12:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

As Peter already mentioned, this is just about the setup in the Print Booklet dialog. If you set as he asked and go to preview and you see front and back on top of each other (because of portrait orientation) then everything is OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to Begadoc

Well, those dialogs are unfortunately nested. Since the normal "Export to PDF" dialog also uses this option and "Print booklet" is on top of it, but can either use export to PDF or directly print to a real printer, the option exists 3 times. Even worse, it is part of the printing profile. If you select the wrong profile, it might not be ticked anymore.

However, this is a pretty surplus option. Nobody will corrupt his/her own document by not ticking this option. If people include blank pages, then usually on purpose.

So it should be ticked by default after installation of any Adobe product, at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 3:02 AM   in reply to Begadoc

To create a 28 paged A5 Document, it is easier to make a A5 double sided document instead of an A4-Doc.

To create the page numbers you have to do following:

at the master double-page you create a text frame on the left page and on the right page for the 'page-numbering'

Then combine the left text-box with the right one. Then place the special charakter 'previous page number' - 'actual page number' in the right text box.

In the document you'll see:

2-3

4-5

6-7…

and so on

For a new page-number beginning you have to make a new section.

Sry 4 translation, I'm using the german version :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Begadoc

Begadoc wrote:

How can I get rid of the page numbering and get this booklet to print properly? Deleting the master page (which only has page numbers on it) doesn't seem to help.

Get rid of page numbering in the exported document? If so, then by not placing placeholders. If you have blank pages and want no page numbering there, just apply a blank master page.

The numbering scheme can be adjusted as you desire in the pages panel. The placeholders you usually place on master pages (or on normal pages) copy the page number from the page numbering, no matter if it's A, B, B or 1, 2, 3 or even A1, A2 etc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points