Skip navigation
bigblueapple
Currently Being Moderated

Does Premiere support editing MP4 files with more than one resoluton?

Nov 19, 2013 2:14 PM

I have a file including 2 resolutions (640*360 and 1600*900).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

It is always good to say what version of Premiere Elements that you are working with and on what computer operating system it is running.

Generalizing....Premiere Elements (any version) allows for only one project preset. And that project preset should match the properties of your source media. So when you have source media of mixed properties, then you need to set priorities. The essential of the project preset is that it directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor from which to edit. In cases where project presets exist that match either of your source files, you set the project preset to match one, drag it to the Timeline, and then import the second and scale it as best you can to "fit in".

But, when you come with both files having atypical formats (atypical based on no matching Premiere Elements project presets to begin with) that poses another challenges.

What is your intended export goal for this Timeline content? Which one of the formats takes priority? The good news looks like both are 16:9.

A lot more information and perhaps we can such a how to that can do.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

Out of curiosity, where did this dual-format MP4 come from?

I am assuming from a video screen-cap program, or similar, but I am curious by nature.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

I am getting closer to what you have, but am not completely together with all the details yet.

https://support.zoom.us/entries/23023498-How-do-I-record-a-meeting-

From what you wrote and what I am understanding of the link above, you have one video file. That must be the 640 x 360 16:9 .mp4.  You should be able to import that into Premiere Elements with the NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30 project preset, atypical as it might seem.

But the nature of those 1600 x 900 files is escaping me. They appear to be called screen sharing files. What is supposed to be their relationship to the .mp4 video which they accompany? What are the properties of these 1600 x 900...do they also have a .mp4 file extension or something else? Are these video files?

If the 620 x 360 and 1600 x 900 are both .mp4 video files, in at least one respect they should go into the program with the NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p30 project preset. As for export to file, you could select a 720p30 export. We can talk about details on that once we clear up the basic issue of what you are actually working with.

Please review and then we will move on from based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...A MediaInfo properties readout typically gives important properties information. "A 360 fille" and the like are not enough detail with which to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

Treating it as if it were 1280 x 720 16:9 or 1920 x 1080 16:9 from project preset to end product....

I do not think that the 720p (1280 x 720) export would compromise the quality of your export. But, you could explore a 1080p export (1920 x 1080). Try it weighing upscaling (any possible negative impact) versus downscaling.

For that matter, you could export it as 1600 x 900, customizing the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset selected. More on that later.

But now that you have clarified the nature of the video file that you have,

a. Can you import that .mp4 file (with its 640 x 360 and 1600 x 900 components) into Premiere Elements under any conditions?

c. If so, can you see the 640 x 360 and 1600 x 900 components frames without issue in the Edit Mode monitor at playback of your Timeline with them as content? Are the two resolutions separate or go back and forth from one resolution to another?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

How sure are you of the nature of this .mp4 file which is presenting as one 640 x 360 file? What is the duration of the video file before Premiere Elements? What is the file duration after you have it on the Premiere Elements Timeline? Have you lost duration before vs after import into Premiere Elements?

If you were not trying to edit this footage what is the function of the 1600 x 900 footage that is included in the package that you see without Premiere Elements in the equation?

Are these 1600 x 900 the file sharing files described at the web site of the manufacturer of the device? If so, they seem to present as automatically zoomed in rather than higher resolution video. Where this zooming in is supposed to happen is in question? But this section of this particular post is speculation at this point.

I think we might have more to go on if you put this file in question through a properties readout program such as MediaInfo (Tree View) and see what that tells us. As with all recent downloads, take care in installation steps to avoid inclusion of bloatware.

Please check out the above. We will be watching for further clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

Again whatever is in that file, what do you want for the export properties of the export?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

Is the VLC player readout correct in that is shows 1400 x 900 video, not 1600 x 900, as well as that 640 x 360 which seems to be dominating in Premiere Elements. Why a 3rd stream, that is, two with 640 x 360 and the one with 1400 x 900.

What do you see at the playback of this material in VLC player...a 640 x 360 video that suddently changes resolution to 1400 x 900 or a 640 x 360 that suddenly zooms into what may be a 1400 x 900 look?

What do you want of the end product? If you are looking for a 1400 x 900 export, then edit the 640 x 360 as suggested and then customize the export settings to 1400 x 900 under the advanced button video tab of the preset selected. Upscaling from 640 x 360 to 1400 x 900 could result in some quality hits. Why not a 640 x 360 as 640 x 360? Just want for a HD look?

I am still not clear on what content this 1400 x 900 video has that the 640 x 360 has not.

Do you think that the Zoom people could be of any help in working with its files?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

The news about QuickTime is good. Is that QuickTime Pro?

Other than trying to upscale the 640 x 360 into a 1400 x 900 one, I do not see any way to deal with this multi stream video in Premiere Elements.

Please update us on your progress. I am not sure how many have explore your video in any video editors. It is an interesting and, for me, unusual case. I will watch online for additional work on this type of video.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to bigblueapple

bigblueapple

Very interesting details.

Your QuickTime built into Mac 10.7 is different than the one that I am used to in Windows and that I download from

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

For the QuickTime feature (Trim to Selection) that I think that you are using, I suspect I would have to buy QuickTime 7 Pro. And, I see no export opportunity in my QuickTime as you must be seeing in your QuickTime built into Mac 10.7.

Congratulations on your success and sharing the results with us.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to bigblueapple

Premiere Elements (team and their site) always claims that the software works best with camera generated video content. So files like these are treated as exceptions and I think will continue to be treated as such.Good to know you fond QT handling these files appropriately.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points