Skip navigation
alwills
Currently Being Moderated

Frontpage Extensions/Dreamweaver

Nov 19, 2013 5:25 PM

I've been doing websites for my church and sports organizations for more than 20 years, been using Frontpage for a long, loing time (now Expression web), I stayed with it because of the ease of use of FP Extensions, which made keeping the local and remote version of the site always the same. With FP Extensions not being supported anymore and no way to figure out if Microsoft is moving on with that level of automation again, I'd like to know if Dreamweaver offers that type of upload automation??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to alwills

Dreamweaver enables you to build any kind of website you like but there are only a few built in features to automate website functionality.

You can do anything with Dreamweaver and coding skills.

If your coding skills are limited then you can get Dreamweaver Extensions (free and paid) to assist.

What is the address of your current website?

Which Frontpage Extensions does your website rely upon to function correctly?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to alwills

one of them is archeryguy.com - the thing I liked about FP Extenstions, is you can work on the site all day and then tell it to 'publish changed files', then it goes and finds ALL the files you've changed and uploads them to the server!!

In Dreamweaver,

Edit > Select Recently Modified Files > Put (Upload)

Bottom line, how much (ball park) is DW?

Pricing is all on the Adobe website:

Dreamweaver CC (current version, subscription only):

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

Dreamweaver CS6 (buy outright but will never be updated):

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to alwills

alwills wrote:

So, if one wants the current version, it's by the month?

Yes, Dreamweaver CC is only available via monthly subscription.

Single App subscription US$19.99/month (or full Cloud at $49.99/month)

Dreamweaver CS6 (the version before CC) is still available for outright purchase as a one-off payment. It's the last version which will be available that way. From CC onwards, it's by subscription only.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to alwills

- is there a 'trial' version??

CC or CS6?

Trials are available on the Adobe website.

https://creative.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to alwills

Another feature of DW is the "check-out/check-in" that will allow you to upload all changed/added dependent files at the same time when you upload the edited/new page. It will give you the option to "upload dependant" files, and that's what you are wanting in the post above. I don't have the CC version, and probably will not be getting it because of budget, but I am sure it's probably in it.still. I am on 5.5.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to alwills

alwills wrote:

one of them is archeryguy.com - the thing I liked about FP Extenstions, is you can work on the site all day and then tell it to 'publish changed files', then it goes and finds ALL the files you've changed and uploads them to the server!!

Using the Synchronize command will do this in DW too. After the first synchronization, any time you hit the Synchronize button from there on out  it will upload only those files that have changed since the last sync.

The Synchronize button is in the Files window. It is the second "circular arrows button" on the right, near the Expand button.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points