Skip navigation
northgal
Currently Being Moderated

Why is the Video clip jumpy?

Nov 19, 2013 5:45 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_12 #jumpy_video_clip

Why is the Video clip jumpy? I have just installed Premiere Elements 12 in a brand new computer:

Acer Aspire V5

CPU AMD Dual Core Processor a-4 APU with Radeon (TM HD Graphics 1.0 GHz)

4GB DDR3 memory

500 GB HDD

Windows 8.1

The file types are AVI, AVCHD, and MOV files

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to northgal

northgal

Thanks for the information already offered. But more is needed to get a handle on the core of your issue.

Given you have Premiere Elements 12 running on Windows 8.1 64 bit computer.

First the typical drill questions....

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

c. Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card? Are you getting a display errors?

The properties of the source media need expanding up beyond "file types are AVI, AVCHD, and MOV.

a. What are the video and audio compression of the files with the .avi file extension and what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

b. What is the file extension for the file with the AVCHD video compression. Again, what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

c. What are the video and audio compression of the files with the .mov file extension and what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

What are you and the program setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media that are being dragged to the Expert view Timeline? Are you using each of the file types in its own project or all in one project? Are you looking at the playback of the rendered Timeline in the Edit Mode monitor?

Also, please confirm what is jumpy...the preview in the Editing area and/or the playback of the Timeline export. If in the export, then please define the export settings.

Lots of considerations and factors.

Let us start here. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written. If all is to much, we can break the Q&A into sections and go at whatever pace you would like.

Looking forward to follow up and helping you with this issue. I currently have Premiere Elements 12 running well on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to northgal

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of things that I see are:

You have a dual-core CPU, and are trying to edit AVCHD material, that is very CPU intensive.

You have 4GB of RAM, on a 64-bit OS, which is just about enough for the OS, with little left over for programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to northgal

northgal

As I await your follow up details, I see that Hunt has commented, and his comments have included remarks about the "dual-core CPU". I have always worked with computers with dual-core CPU and AVCHD video editing and have never ran into any problems. If your details spell out large projects, then we can dig into computer environment CPU et al.

But, right now your installed RAM 4 GB and Dual Core CPU do not appear to be at jumpy video issue. Your Radeon video card in Windows 8.1 is a factor I need to rule in or out of the equation and am seeking input on that from another user whom I recall wrote about a problem with Radeon and Windows 8.1. I need to determine if my memory is dusty on that one or the video card and Windows 8.1 needs to be factored into the troubleshooting.

More later when all the details are presented.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to northgal

>Radeon (TM HD Graphics 1.0 GHz)... Windows 8.1

Which model graphics adapter, and have you checked for a driver update via ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

While not your exact problem, I had to roll my wife's computer back to Win8 from Win8.1 because her "older" ATI card did not have a "newer" driver that would work with Win8.1 - see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1318710

ADDED - Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217 link may also helpl

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to northgal

It is nice to see that ATR has had no issues when editing AVCHD on a Dual-Core CPU, but that flies against what most users have experienced. Most find that a Quad-Core is the minimum for not getting "jumpy" playback, with that source material. AVCHD, with the H.264 CODEC is very CPU intensive, right from the start.

I wish you both great luck.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

I need to agree to disagree with your "most". My "most users" including myself have not found your generalization to be the case with hands on work with the product on a "Dual Core CPU"..

But, let us see how the details play out to help us define the specific core of the issue here.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I am basing my comments on very many users, who have had similar problems with playback of AVCHD material, on a Dual-Core CPU. That you are not, is great, but flies in the face of many other users' experiences.

As I do not have such an underpowered computer handy, I cannot try to mirror your experiences.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

I too do not have an underpowered computer handy. The dual core processor on 64 bit system used by me and others who edit AVCHD successfully with Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12, meets the task well and the footage is not characterized/generalized as jumpy.

I would ask...what is operating system and  the processor of the computer on which your versions of Premiere Elements are installed and on which you are run into this problem first hand? And, just what versions have you looked at in this regard again first hand?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to northgal

northgal

Lots of ways to go on this. But, I think starting with a definition of the source media and how you are setting up the project is going to be the path to success. So, we need to zero in on questions/answers related to what I wrote earlier

The properties of the source media need expanding up beyond "file types are AVI, AVCHD, and MOV.

a. What are the video and audio compression of the files with the .avi file extension and what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

b. What is the file extension for the file with the AVCHD video compression. Again, what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

c. What are the video and audio compression of the files with the .mov file extension and what is the frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

You asked how to go about that. The best way is to run each of the file types through a video properties read out program such as MediaInfo

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Latest versions of that MediaInfo have been problematic in that you need to be on guard for any unwanted toolbars and installed "extra" programs (bloatware).

OR

We would not necessarily get more information, but we would get enough to put us in a good position, if we run the types through gspot utility (good for codec and basic information)...less bloatware concerns

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The dialog that you would get from gspot would look like

Codecs.JPG

Once we know the video and audio codecs, frame size, frames rates, interlaced or progressive frame rates, etc. that we are dealing with, we on a good course to set up the project settings to match those properties, independant of whatever export choices we have in mind. That we will address later after a successful import and edit.

OR

A third choice for getting at this information is less productive but can be a good last resort...knowing the brand/model/recording settings of the camera from which these files came.

Please review and then let us know if you can gather the file properties information details requested.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to northgal

By any chance do you have all three types of clips in the same project? If so, unless your machine is too powerful (which unfortunately your machine is not) the playback might be jerky definitely.

For information about how a clip is handled in a project, see one of Premiere Elements' person explaining it @ http://forums.adobe.com/message/5077815#5077815

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points