Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to have more than one source panel for multiple clips?

Nov 19, 2013 6:01 PM

For the creative process, I would like to be able to see multiple clips side by side, able to scrub forward and backward to see the 'weight' of diffent scenes and not just have to imagine in my mind how they will work together. If Premere Pro will not allow this, then is there some other app, not Bridge please, that enables you to line up the viewing of more than one clip? The only way I can think of doing this right now is to put one clip on the timeline and view on the program monitor and then view the other from the source panel.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Premiere allows only one instance of the Source Monitor. Same goes for the Program Monitor.

You might try creating a multicam sequence with the clips you want to compare. Then you can scrub all the clips at once. While the multicam feature is intended to actually cut between the clips, it may serve your purposes of just reviewing multiple clips side by side.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Hi Ken,

Another idea is to place the clips you wish to compare in a bin and then switch to icon mode within that bin. Scale up the icons big enough to taste. You can scrub, mark, and compare takes with ease in this fashion.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Adding a PIP effect to clips in the sequence is a good way to see more than one clip at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

I would like to have independent scrub control of each clip (two or three clips at a time)

That's contradictory information.  Do you want to scrub them independently, or two or three at a time?  The first is achieved in the single Source Monitor, the latter can be achieved via Multicam or PIP effects in the Program Monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Forgive me for any assumptions.

I understand what you are trying to do here but it would always have its limitations.

eg imagine if you had 10 takes, clips  or cameras to look at simultaneously.

and not just have to imagine in my mind how they will work together.

Editors for years and years have worked through their material doing exactly that. Basically cutting in what works (and looks good) as they see it.

The NLE was a revolution because it allows editors to drop in and change an edit anywhere , anytime in a non linear manner.   But it also allows one to easily preview  both sides of the edit as well as a the source  while doing so.

Take selection is usually a simple linear process (logging and selects) with maybe a bit of trial and error in the timeline.

Editing multiple scenes shot in parallel is probably best served by multicam mode.  FWIW ..I edit multicam the old fashioned way and use  a master scene video layer then overlay to upper tracks from source monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

review several clips on-screen independently.

See, there's that contradiction again.  Several means more than one.  Independently connotes one at a time.

I'm confused.

homer-confused.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Sorry but, that contradiction is still there.  Several and independently.  Which is it?

If your scrubbing one at a time, I don't see why the Source Monitor is insufficient.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Ken,

One possibility for comparing frames amongst different takes is ganging. However, you only do this with two clips. Place the clip in the Timeline, then place another take in the Source Monitor at the same point. In the panel menu, choose Gang Source and Program monitor. They don't play in unison, but they do stop at the same time so that you can compare frames.

Best,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points