Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the quickest way to paint a straight brush stroke that is NOT on 90 or 180 degrees?

Nov 20, 2013 12:11 AM

Tags: #perspective_drawing #brush_stroke

I do perspective drawing for interior designers and do the colouring in Photoshop. Think of old fashioned painting with a brush/copic marker against a ruler to get a straight line, but with varying thickness or opacity. I would like the same effect in Photoshop.

The closest that I have come is to press Shift before the brush stroke. That constrains the stroke, makes a very neat line AND allows me to vary the line/brush thickness as I paint.

Often the lines may need to be at an arbitrary angle which is NOT 90 or 180 degrees. The only way I know of for getting that brush stroke in the correct position is to make sure that each stroke is on a separate layer. Select the stroke/transform/rotate. Quite a few steps as opposed to the one it takes to draw the line in the correct position and angle with a brush/ copic marker on paper.

This becomes time consuming and difficult once you have many lines to paint and if you need to be accurate (as with perspective drawing). If you are working on a very large canvas the point of rotation can sometimes be very far from where you are working (i.e. on a vanishing point) and difficult to see without a lot of Zooming and moving around on the canvas.

To Stroke a path with the brush gives an unrealistic and even line thickness which does not look hand painted.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone ever used a ruler while drawing on a Cintiq? That may give the desired effect and be much quicker than selecting and rotating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to RoelofVenter

I don't know if it's the quickest way or even if it would work for you, but one can rotate the canvas a different angles via the Rotate View Tool.

Then pressing the shift key should constrain the stroke to that angle.

The Rotate View Tool shares the same slot in the toolbox as the Hand Tool or keyboard shortcut R

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to RoelofVenter

Or touch down at one end of the stroke, and hold down the Shift key while you touch down at the other end.

Or paint your line on a new layer, and use Free Transform to rotate and position it. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Buy Corel Painter X3 program, does exacly what you want to do with brush confined to paint along a perspective grid, controlled by your choice of setup.  See their web site for feature demo   (new in X3 version).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points