Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My bank information was Hacked

Nov 24, 2013 3:19 PM

I was subjected to having my bank information stolen and accessed. Adobe doesn't seem to care about that fact and is unwilling to allow me to pay monthly without my banking information being stored on the the Adobe easy to hack website. My bank informs me that Adobe must by law meet my requirements of not having my bank account information stored on their site, since Adobe cannot guarantee 100% that it will not happen again. I lost not only money in this hack, but also access to my own bank accounts for a period of 14 days. Unable to buy food, pay bills, or even put gas in the car. Now, Adobe wants to insure it will happen again by insisting that my banking information be stored once again on the Adobe free for crooks site!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to jfalsken

Depending on where you live, and your credit rating, you can use an actual credit card, not a debit card, so a direct line to your bank is not on file with Adobe.

Perhaps depending on where you live, you can also purchase a pre-paid 3-month or full- year of CC from Amazon to keep your financial information off of Adobe:

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Creative-Membership-Pre-Paid-Product/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to jfalsken

That is what the Amazon pre-paid memberships are for.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to jfalsken

Adobe has not swept this under the rug.  In fact there is a link on the  www.adobe.com home page about it and the first item in the FAQ says:

"Frequently Asked Questions

"What information exactly did the attacker gain access to?

"Our investigation currently indicates that the attackers accessed Adobe customer IDs and encrypted passwords on our systems. We also believe the attackers removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders. At this time, we do not believe the attackers removed decrypted credit or debit card numbers from our systems.

"We are also investigating the illegal access to source code of numerous Adobe products. Based on our findings to date, we are not aware of any specific increased risk to customers as a result of this incident."

The e-mail I got from Adobe told me to change my password, yes, because that was clearly something the hackers could see immediately.  It was less clear that the banking information had been decrypted, but Adobe notified my bank and I got a new debit card in the mail without my asking for it, and Adobe is paying for 1 year of credit monitoring for me, so it's not like Adobe isn't doing anything about the situation, at least in my case.

The low ratings on Amazon, if you actually read them, are because people don't agree with the cloud subscription paradigm in general, not that the Amazon pre-payment for a subscription doesn't work, so I don't see that a low rating show put you off of using an Amazon pre-pay instead of have Adobe auto-pay.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 8:54 PM   in reply to jfalsken

How do you know your bank information was compromised by the Adobe hack?

Have you ever used your debit card at a restaurant or bar or hotel, especially one out of town?

If the only Adobe transaction you've performed with your debit card was your CC subscription that I doubt that was even involved in the hack, only your Adobe ID from the main Adobe.com site.

My debit card was involved in the hack because I'd used it to purchase PS-CS6 earlier in the year.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points