Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

Nov 24, 2013 5:28 PM

My workflow in Premier Pro CC 7.0.1 involved heavy use of the Trim Monitor for frame accurate adjustment of trims. After upgrading to 7.1 I found that 'Trim Monitor' was no longer an option on the 'Window' menu. Has the Trim Monitor been dropped?

I know that I can achieve the same results in other ways, but found them so cumbersome in comparison to my previous workflow that I have reverted to 7.0.1 for now.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to KevinGreen

Works fine here.

I use shortcut "T" though. 

It does not appear in my Window Menu.  (Assume it did in the past?)

Windows CC7.1 etc...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to shooternz

To elaborate on ShooterNZ's response, the functionality of the Trim Monitor has been folded into the Program Monitor. The shortcut "T" is one of several ways to switch to the Trim mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 8:07 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

What are the other ways Mark?

I use Trim Monitor a lot once I have assembled my basic edit from the source monitor.

I have built a keyboard shortcut and my entire edit workflow around it in fact ...but all based on "T"

"T" will bounce me to nearest edit point ,... apply a Trim Mode and open Trim Monitor

I can use the Trim Monitor directly  or I can (custom) Shift-Z toggle thru the other Edit Modes for what I want to use.

The above all work so well with Edit to Play Head "E".

For me...a sweet little combination of Keyboard and mouse action editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to KevinGreen

KevinGreen wrote:

You response implies that the Trim Monitor is now dead, although it is still documented separately from Trim mode in the help file, and although the latter has been updated to indicate what's new in 7.1 there is no indication that Trim Monitor has been withdrawn in that update.

Hi Kevin,

Yes, the Trim Monitor has been deprecated as of Premiere Pro CC (7.1). I'm sorry the note has not yet been added to the documentation. I'll make sure the tech writer makes note of that.

KevinGreen wrote:

This slows me down considerably since if I try to move too fast the left and right hands get out of sync. If I hit up or down whilst Ctrl is still depressed, or left or right whilst it is not depressed, I get dumped back in Program Monitor normal mode and have to hit 'T' again to re-enter Trim Mode. This may seem minor but the one time I tried this it doubled my edit time and led me to spend time and effort to revert to 7.0.1.

Please send your request to the product team using the following form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to KevinGreen

Have you tried just changing the shortcuts?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to KevinGreen

In Trim mode I have to use Crtl-Left and Ctrl-Right to get the same result. This slows me down considerably since if I try to move too fast the left and right hands get out of sync.

Seriously ...one modifier key "slows you down considerably" ...and made it worth while going back to previous version that has so many other significant  ways to "slow one down".

How fast do you need to go?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to KevinGreen

Customise to any  single key  that suits you and problem solved.

FWIW

I just set up my Mouse with customiseable functions just to suit part of my workflow.

From the (wireless) Mouse I can:

Inch Frame by Frame

Set In and Out Points

Play and Stop

Toggle  from Source Monitor to Timeline (Sequence)

Enter Trim Mode

Change Edit Modes

etc....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to KevinGreen

Welcome back to 7.1

I cant tell you how many times I have adapted my edit workflow and techniques due to  changes and the development of Premiere.  ( I have been using it since the very very first version).

Basically ..the evolution has been  fantastic and every change..has been pprogressively on the whole..for the better.

Adapt to move forward..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points