Skip navigation
Pradipkumar
Currently Being Moderated

How to center a pdf file of scanned pages which have different margins a single command?

Nov 25, 2013 8:14 PM

I have scanned about 20,000 pages of text from a book. The final aim is to re-print the book. To make plates from the scanned pages the platmaker requires the file to be centered using in-design. After placing the pdf file into indesign is there a single command that can center the PDFs in each page?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to Pradipkumar

What version of InDesign? How you placing the PDF files—manually (File > Place) or with a script. Are you placing into a frames coming on a master page? If you are, you can use Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options to control how a graphic can be oriented (even cropped) within the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 11:46 PM   in reply to Pradipkumar

How can you be sure that the image within the scan is centered? My experience is that when the original is placed in the scanner, it might be a little to the left or right or maybe not placed squarely in the scanner (e.g. slightly rotated) from one scan to the next. I'd be more concerned that the body of the scan is placed in the InDesign page with consistency (i.e. if the text is aligned flush-left, is the left margin consistent?). This can be done by setting up master guides and nudging the image after it's been placed. For items that require a slight rotation, I might choose to do that in Photoshop, but it could also be done in InDesign.

What I'm getting at is that having the image centered might leave you with pages dancing around if you flipped through quickly, which would make the book look less professional. If, on the other hand, you were sure that centering is what you want, regardless of how it places the page, Steve's advise is what you want to follow. I suppose it could be scripted, but I can't advise you on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to Pradipkumar

I don't know why you scanned the pages as PDF?

I don't know what settings were used for this PDF - what is the image quality?

Anytime I've scanned books I scan at very high resolution about 1200 PPI to a TIFF file.

When you were scanning them did you not setup a template on the scanner bed that each page sits into?

That's what I've done before, with a bit of cardboard and double sided sticky tape, you make little tabs that each page would sit into. I've always done that for flatbed scanning. This would give you an even scan for all your pages in your book.

Anyway - you've scanned 20,000 pages so it's unfeasable to rescan all these pages again.

The only way to ensure they are all centered is to go by hand page by page.

Unless there's a person out there that has a clever script? Try the scripting forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:
    [ .. ] The only way to ensure they are all centered is to go by hand page by page.

Unless there's a person out there that has a clever script? Try the scripting forum.

I don't see how a script could be of any help.

The OP learned a valuable lesson, and now has ample time to ponder upon it while manually positioning 20,000 pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

I don't know anything about scripting Jongware lol

Reckoned if it was to be done with a click it would need a script.

Obviously if you don't think a script can help then it can't - I bow to your expertise.

Indeed - a valuable lesson.

Always think finishing at the beginning - and always consult your print bureau before commencing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:

I don't know why you scanned the pages as PDF?

I don't know either, but I used to work for a company that used a network copier that could scan pages from a feeder, and in addition to making the printouts you would normally have a copier do, it could save the scans as PDF. Maybe that's what the OP did.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to Migintosh

Scanning to PDF is probably a lot better than some of the other alternatives.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points