Skip navigation
chatty.kathy
Currently Being Moderated

Vector Art convert to PNG at 96 dpi changes size of image

Nov 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Tags: #png_issues

I have created vector art in Illustrator 5.5 that is exported as a PNG file at 96 dpi. When we open the PNG file in Photoshop, the image size is larger in Photoshop than it is in Illustrator. Width was 232.8 px on Illustrator document and 233 on Photoshop document. Height was 181.4 px on Illustrator document and 183 on the Photoshop document. If I export as a 72 dpi PNG file then the size does not change. How can I export the image at 96 dpi without changing the size of the image?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to chatty.kathy

The png file format does not contain ppi information and the interface of the Export options were not programmed intelligently enough to make sense.

So, you have to specify the generated raster images with the desired pixel dimensions and not ppi. For example 300 pixels wide by 200 pixels high and not 100 ppi for artwork with 3 inches wide by 2 inches high.

Create you artwork with the desired pixel dimensions in Illustrator and export at Screen resolution. If you want to generate an image with different pixel dimensions, an easy way is by choosing File > Save for Web and Devices and use the Image tab to change the dimensions.

If you have to use File > Export, then choose a ppi number that will make the desired pixel count when multiplied by the inches size of your artwork. Blame Adobe for not allowing you to just type the desired pixel dimensions in the Export options but making you  calculate them in this stupid way.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to chatty.kathy

Actually, I was wrong about the png file not supporting ppi, originally it didn't but Adobe had added this support later. In my experience however a lot of programs still do not read this information.

Regardless of this, the instructions given to you do not make any sense. The only way to keep the pixel dimensions the same is to choose the Screen (72 ppi) export option in Illustrator. Then you can make this file 96 ppi in Photoshop. Choose Image > Image Size, uncheck the Resample image box and change the Resolution to 96 pixels/inch then save the file and it will remain 96 ppi.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points