Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What's the best setting for the sequence when the source HD but I need to edit it as if were SD?

Nov 25, 2013 6:05 PM

When I allow pro to make a sequence from my source it automatically makes the following adjustments: ARRI Cinema 23.976 1920 x 1080 square pixles no fields progressive scan 24 fps

Here is what I need to do. I need to change the preview screen so that it shows 720 x 480 because that is what I have to export it to. I already have premade intros that were made in SD, so I need it to all fit together by me simply resizing my HD footage to fit in the SD window. I already know how to make the preview window the right size, but so far I cannot make a high quality export using this method. The only thing that I have found that works so far is editing my HD video as a HD video, but my premade intro that was made in SD will not work because if I streach it out to fit in the HD editing, then when I export it will be jumpy. So, I need a good setting to set the encoder to so I can I can make my HD footage work in SD. BTW this method has worked great in elements 11. Surely this expensive pro version can accomplish the same task. I would appreciate any help I can get on this because I tried for 5 hours today with adobe chat to get an answer and they kept saying they would have someone call me, but that never happend. It was the worst customer service I have had in a long time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

All considered ...maybe you need to edit in an SD Sequence.

but...

What is your deliverable exactly? SD or SD FHA or ???  eg does it show on only SD screens  or does it show on 16:9 screens as well with bars left and right (pillar boxed)

Why this ? What are you calling the Preview Screen?.

Here is what I need to do. I need to change the preview screen so that it shows 720 x 480 because that is what I have to export it to.

I dont understand this either? How did you change the preview window and why? What method is involved?

I already know how to make the preview window the right size, but so far I cannot make a high quality export using this method.

Are you still getting flickering issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

Lots of things here.

First though..Is this broadcast TV ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

OK

I assume everything is seen as SD (4:3) and no letterboxing.on broadcast TV or the internet stream.

I assume that you are cutting the sides off the HD footage?  (SD centre extraction from the HD)

I am aware you have an opening media asset that is SD (4;3)

New simple workflow for you.

• Start a new Sequence using a DV (NTSC) preset.
    • Drop an edited  HD clip into the timeline how ever you prefer to do that.
    • Use Motion>Scale to make the clip fit top to bottom. (note the scaling percentage for next clip)
    • Carry on like that through your edit. (use the percentage for scaling)

Export  as your requirement.

Do a test export  and see if that sorts the "flickering".

Screen grab your export setting once done and show us.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

There are a number of ways of doing this but I am  thinking to start you with a basic way.

I would be working in 2 sequences. One a SD DV  and the other,  an HD seqw.  to match the source.

I would edit in the HD and nest that into the SD where your SD asset is waiting .

Scale the nst down . Efficient because all clips scale in one action.

Add graphics in the SD sequence.  Export from there

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

Nesting =

You can use any sequence in your project as an asset in another Sequence.( ie nest it into)

Drag it in from the Project Bin or the Source Monitor.

BTW- what version Premiere are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

OK. Thats good to know because there are difference between that and latest version..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

If you edit HD source files  in an SD Sequence you need to scale every HD clip to fit somehow.

IN a nest..its a single action. Scale once.  Its a simpler in fact.

You would be exporting from your Sd sequence no matter what and creating your title in the SD sequence ..no matter what.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

Try it.

Something you could consider is get the intro remade in HD ...and then you can follow thru in a full HD workflow.

You are jumping thru hoops for the sake of a single asset.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

You should not have flicker in the first place if you had chosen correct sequence settings.

Properly shot footage does not have flicker and a correct sequence wont induce it.

Flicker in your case was Op error.

The flicker filter is not a normally applied effect for O.E

I do not fully understand how to edit in HD and make it to where it will work right when exported to SD so that it takes up the full screen.

This depends on how you deliver / display  and there are options.

1st Question - why SD delivery in an HD world?

2nd question...what do you call a full screen?

eg. a SD screen with black bars top and bottom. A SD screen that only shows the  centre section of an HD image,

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

There are not any hoops to jump thru really.  Using Premiere..I have made hundreds of  broadcast TVCs in SD and HD and Mixed sequences. Ver simple and straight forward process.

If you shot HD and edited in a matched HD sequence no problems.

If you shoot HD and drop it in an SD Sequence no problems.

Flicker is an issue that must be O.E.  DO you have a very short clip (eg 5 seconds) Must  be original source file that we can test for you?.

I have suggested 2 workflows that are basic and fundamental ways for you to work with mixed SD and HD.  Both work perfectly and I am not sure what results you got or if you tried them.

I suggested remaking an HD version of your Intro. Solves a lot of workflow  problems (and its an HD world).

I asked if you use centre extraction (SD section with sides cut off) of your HD footage . What was the answer?

Your station maybe broadacasting SD FHA ( Full height anamorphic). Are they? (its common practice)

If exporting to sd shrinks it down would that not make me skinny and tall?

NO.

I am still concerned how the text will work out lining it up with the safe zones

Its easy to do in HD or SD. One can set up the safe title areas in an HD or an SD Sequence.

Do you have a sample movie (link) of what you are doing so I can see it somewhere?

You have two workflow choices and both can work fine. You need to go with one or the other and we will work that one out for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

You sure have  a lot of issues going on for such a simple video which should be as easy as pie to edit.

Fixed camera ...single layer of video and audio plus graphic overlay. A few transitions. 

Why the need for cutting thru multiple video tracks? (which can be done BTW)

Why the need for applying transitions in one step? ( which can be easily done BTW)

Premiere Pro is obviously more advanced and capable than Elements. It needs to be to meet the demands of professionals.

That doesnt mean its more complicated though.. Just different and far  more options and "power".  You have only had CS6 for a few days.  There is a learning curve and the penny will drop for you...soon or eventually. Its in the basics and fundamentals.

In fact there are mant ways to "skin the cat' in Premiere.

Now..I dont understand that you are not centre extracting if you are getting nothing cut off. If you put a 16:9 (HD) image in a SD frame..you cut off the sides.

Correct and you learnt something here...

My error on my end from the best I can tell was not choosing the matching sequecne framerate wise, because that did take care of my flicker problem, but then caused my 29. fps intro to flicker, but the flicker filter took care of that.

The adobe people have not let me down 2 days in row

I have forgotten what issue you are approaching them with but almost certain that they wont be able to help.?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

Dont cut thru.

Place the Titles (verses) on a higher video track. They will take video "dominance" over the underlying tracks.

You can easily apply all your transitions in one video layer in one step  if you do that.

Sides cut off ..thats fine considering the sunbject matter.

Quality is fine for purpose.

Producing in native HD would be better.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

Edit in from the Source Window and dont use the Razor Tool is how that is done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points