Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert 24fps to 60fps using twixtor?

Nov 26, 2013 3:27 AM

Tags: #twixtor #to #convert #fps #60fps #24fps #slow_motion #23 #premiere_pro_cc #after_effect_cc #976

Hi folks

I've got this 1080p 24fps (23,976) clip that I'd like to convert to 60fps. I tried using "frame blending" when exporting the clip to 60fps but that didn't look very well.

My idea was to use Twixtor to create those extra frames that doesn't exist.

Twixtor does a much better job creating those extra frames than premiere, the problem is I don't know how to get a slowmo clip play as 60fps?

23,976 / 60 = 0,3996, so in theory I should be able to slow down my clip to 39,96% and then play it as 60fps in realtime, right?

I'm using the latest version of Premiere CC on a new MacBook Pro. Would this be esier to do in AE?

Any ideas?

Regards

Patrik

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Patrik Haldo

What is the purpose behind the change in frame rate?  What are you trying to accomplish?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to Patrik Haldo

I want to accomplish smoother playback, a la "soap opera" style =)

OK, I think you might be the first person ever who wanted to go from the high quality, professional look of film to the amateurish, cheesy look of video.

I'm not sure that's possible, though.  Even when my BD player adds the 'missing frames' to turn 24p content into the 60p signal my TV receives, it still looks like film.  I suspect for that video look, you will need to have shot it at the higher frame rate originally.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Patrik Haldo

Would Video CoPilot's frame rate converter do it for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Patrik Haldo

I am totally confused by your use of the terms "slomo" and "realtime".

I'm kinda guessing you want to play a 23.976 fps (realtime/normal speed) clip at 59.94 fps realtime/normal speed, if that is incorrect, I apologize.

The correct term for doing this is "Frame rate up-conversion" (use this for your Google searches)

Twixtor can do this

http://help.revisionfx.com/tutorial/148/

And After Effects can do this

http://creativeclouduser.com/converting-frame-rates-with-after-effects /

Final quality can vary based on software and original footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Patrik Haldo

I don't know the inner workings of Twixtor enough to tell you the difference, or why it even worked (if it did).

The typical, recommended workflow would be to set the sequence to the desired final output frame rate. Then, change interpret frame rate of a clip from (typically) real-time, to a new speed, that will play out each individual frame, no skips and no duplicates, at the new frame rate. If you change the framerate interpretation of a 23.976 fps clip to 59.94 it will speed it up to 250% of normal/realtime. If you then drop it into a 59.94 sequence and add Twixtor, you would need to tell Twixtor to slow down the footage to 40% in order to get back to real time.

In Premiere, interpret frame rate changes the playback speed of the clip. Using a sequence with frame rate different from the clip, will retain the original speed of the clip and duplicate or remove frames as necessary to meet the new frame rate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points