• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I globally replace a bold character override in FM10?

Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I globally replace a bold character override with a specific character format from the character format catalog in FM10? I am not concerned about filtering for specific paragraph tags.

Thanks,

Marc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is far as I've managed …

1. apply the character style in question to a word, then use Edit > Copy special to put the character style in the clipboard
  2. use Find/change to locate Character format override
  3. if this finds a local override you want to clean up, click [Change & find]

Not global in the sense "sort out my whole book with one click", but perhaps a step in the right direction.

Off-thread question: what's the general feeling about formatting for step 3 – is it OK to be informal and start an instruction with "if"? I like to explain the condition before giving the instruction, to avoid tripping up people like me who tend to process strictly from left to right :-} An indented paragraph after step 2 "If … then continue to step 3" would be thorough, but seems a bit clumsy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, a technical communication question!

I would resolve this by giving both possible options, as follows:

1. Apply style and use Edit > Copy Special > Character Style
  2. Use F/C to locate overrides
    1. If this finds something you want to change, select Change and Find
    2. If you do not want to change this instance, select Find to proceed to next occurance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Matt – hadn't thought about a second level of list. I'd go for a unordered one myself, but it's an approach I shall add to my mental toolkit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines