Skip navigation
matwells
Currently Being Moderated

Table of Contents - Styles not ordering as I want them to

Dec 2, 2013 4:47 PM

Hi

This has been driving me crazy! Hopefully someone can help. I have set up a table of contents with 3 styles as so:

1. Chapter heading

2. Page title (with page number)

3. Sub or item headings (from each page where relevant)

However the "item" headings Keep appearing on the line above the page heading. I want them to appear after/below so they clearly illustrate the fact that those are items on that particular page. As far as I can tell I have nothing  ticked or checked in the TOC paragraph styles that shouldn't be.

Below is a screenshot of the TOC's where I've marked examples of how this is appearing. Only marked a few but oviously this continues through the list.

If anyone could explain where I'm going wrong it would be most appreciated.... My deadline is looming!

Cheers

TOCScreenShot.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2013 1:50 AM   in reply to matwells

If text is in multiple frames, the TOC is going to pick it up in the order it finds the frames, starting in the upper left corner of the page, then working down before moving right.

A scree shot of one of these pages with frame edges showing would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 2:30 AM   in reply to matwells

If you extend the header frame to the left margin or page edge, then set the paragtaph to right-aligned, it should work as you want.

You can use alignment and paragraph indents, but not frame indents, to position text furhter right without affecting how the TOC picks it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to matwells

I've just been using ID for a long time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points