Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating Transparent Background

Dec 2, 2013 6:50 PM

Hello,

I have a hand drawn picture scanned as a jpeg file and I want to convert it to a vector image with a transparent background, but it keeps saving with the white background. I know it's probably a simple fix, but I'm stuck. Can someone help me out?

Chris

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 2, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to Wood N Treasures

it's kinda NOT a simple fix...because

1.you can't have a jpeg with a transparent background

2.a jpeg is 'raster' art (the only way in illustrator to make it vector is using live trace or the pen tool and re-drawing it)

depending on the 'picture' you could 'possibly' do something in Photoshop (convert to grayscale--then convert to 1 bit tiff) which would yield what would essentially be a line drawing (kinda like a coloring book image) it would have a transparent background--but depending on the complexity of your image, may not be desirable.

can you post a screen shot of your scan? it would be easier to assist you if your image could be viewed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 9:51 PM   in reply to tman69

Ah, yeah it could be a simple fix. If the OP is using the autotrace feature. In its properties is a check box to remove white. That means all white not just the background though.

If the image is simple enough it could be manually traced with the pen tool, if your use to the pen tool that is. Just remember anything that is not a path and does not have a fill is transparent, even though the background looks white. The checkerboard is turned off by default to keep it from being distracting.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to Wood N Treasures

Like this gauges.jpg   and this eg.jpg

Hi,their I don't know if this is the right place for this question.

I would like to know from start to finish in Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 how to draw avionics gauges in color to actual size 1:1 ratio of actual aircraft gauge from image and or manuals so I can print on adhesive backing labels?

The gauges have to be almost 100% copy of the original and look like the real thing...

Also how to design Vector Cockpit panels?

i'm a novice / Beginner so help will be appreciated.thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Wood N Treasures

here is the PNG file you sent--opened in Photoshop--converted to grayscale--then to bitmap (50% threshold@300dpi) it now is transparent--it has been placed in illustrator over a colored background to verify its transparent

the bitmap conversion can be set to a much higher dpi (converting the original)--hope this helps

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Wood N Treasures

hi their I havn't seen any message replied back is anyone going to help me ?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to schematicsman

As a novice you should try not to hijack another original post question. You would best be served to post your question outside of this thread, as a new discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to schematicsman

Apart from what PrepressPro already told you, some Googling would have gotten the answer already. For example this one: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1265404

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Sorry for any trouble ,I wasn't Hijacking  any post.I didn't know where to find the right area to post,i'm new to this,and trust me i have tried everything on Google for this type of design and not one person has a tutorial that explains the steps in illustrator nor they want to share knowledge.

So thank you for pointing me to the direct place.Sorry for any incovenience...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to schematicsman

schematicsman,

There have been quite a few (other) threads about the subject. Some of us are addicted to them.

To post your (very own) question, go to the forum page,

http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator?view=discussions#/?per_p age=100

and click Start a discussion under Action at the top left.

That is the secret code for Ask a Question.

The very prominent Ask a Question at the top over Discussions means something quite different, namely Search.

Do not, I repeat, do not ask why.

And welcome to this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to schematicsman

i seem to remember a couple of threads from some guy making motoring speedometers (or something similar) that turned out very informative and would probably come in handy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points