Skip navigation
alan-campbell
Currently Being Moderated

can I upgrade from Pagemaker 7 to InDesign?

Dec 3, 2013 3:48 AM

I am still runninf Pagemaker 7 with Windows XP on 4 computers in the office with no problems but it looks like I will be forced to change. Can I upgrade Pagemaker 7 to InDesign and, if so, which version and where would I go to organise this?

Alan Campbell

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to alan-campbell

You have to pay the full price because there exists no upgrade path now any more.

InDesign CS6 is the last version which could open PageMaker files.

You can subscribe to the Creative Cloud, you will get both, CS6 to open you PM files and CC as newest version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to alan-campbell

If you do switch to InDesign, you should keep your PageMaker handy to resolve any image-linking issues. Best practice is to make sure the PageMaker file has a good link to the image files (not embedded, modified or missing) and you may want to do a save-as in PM (to remove any unwanted code in the file) before opening in ID. You will likely find some differences in the file after you open it in ID, so a PDF made from PageMaker might also be a good thing to keep for comparison.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to alan-campbell

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Doc Maik

If all you need is InDesign it's $20/month with CC. It will take the

better part of 3 years to hit $700 doing that and you'd have the most up

to date software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

And, of course, you'll also have to switch from Windows XP since it's no longer supported with a CC installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to alan-campbell

Creative Cloud is a sensible and affordable choice, IMO. Subscription software is here to stay so I suggest you get used to it.

Wrote a blog post on that topic the other day: http://boblevine.us/why-creative-cloud-subscription-software-is-here-t o-stay/

Read it and you'll see why I think this benefits everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to alan-campbell

Alan, if I were in your shoes, I would take images of the four working XP installations, toss the hardware, buy new Win7 workstations, and then run XP in virtualization off of those images. Once the images were up and running, I'd disable the ability of XP to touch any of the networking hardware. It's much like handling radioactive material; it's totally safe if you take the correct precautions.

That way, the only way your working environment changes is that you do all of your Internet stuff in a contemporary OS, which you should be doing anyways, and all of the rest of your working environment is completely unchanged.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to alan-campbell

And let me add that if you purchase a license for InDesign, or choose to subscribe, you'll likely find your productivity is vastly increased in very short order and you won't ever want to open Pagemaker again. ID can do things you've only dreamed of in Pagemaker.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points