Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting Hyperlinks From Mac Word to PDF

Dec 3, 2013 7:19 AM

Is it possible to exporting hyperlinks, bookmarks (Microsoft version of anchors) and screen tips from Mac Word 2011 to a PDF?

I have been unsuccessful with exporting the hyperlinks to a PDF. Also, in the MS Word file, I defined the hyperlinks in teal color. But when I view the PDF, the hyperlinks are not active, they are in the default blue and underlined.

I was hoping to avoid manually adding them in via Acrobat Pro X.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to ZenDao

Only possible if the file is converted to a PDF using the PDFMaker plugin,

which is not available on Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to ZenDao

Within Acrobat, Is it possible to create anchors and screen tips (pop-up widows providing additional information if you hovering over a word)?

Yes, that's possible, but it requires using form fields and some scripts to achieve that effect.

Also, can I define the colors of a hyperlink, in active and visited states?

No, that's not possible. The only way to do something like that would be to use form field buttons (or text fields), and then use a script to change their appearance once clicked.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

It is possible to have links come over in Acrobat Mac X, and XI, but only those created by Word's Auo Text/AutoCorrect. Links created by highlighting a Word and using Word Insert URL Function does not work.

Up until Version X and XI this was not Possible. And has been an on going issue Since OSX.1 about 15 years. In OS9 and lower there was a PDFMaker and and all links worked.

The two methods are:  with Acrobat installed:

1. Create Document in Word
    2. Save Document.
    3. Go to Print Menu
    4. Click and Hold down PDF Button
    5. Choose Adobe PDF from Pop up Menu
    6. First item that comes up is Roughly equivalent to Job Options in Distiller. Choose desire quality/format
      Also leave open with Acrobat (or Reader) on or uncheck to turn that off.(I have off).
    7. Next item comes up you can alter the chosen name, or change, click okay.
    8. Choose save.

Any URL's create by autoText/Auto correct will come over.

Next method do 1 & 2 above.

1. Locate the Word document Created
    2. Now locate the icon for acrobat in the Dock
    3. Drag the Word Document to the Dock Icon for Acrobat and Drop.
    4. Wait (might can Drink a Cup of coffee)
    5. When PDF shows up, save.

Maybe in another 15 years they will fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to ZenDao

Just open the MS Word *.docx files in OpenOffice ( http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/ ) and then use File>Export to PDF.

This gets you what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to ZenDao

A button's tooltip will appear each time you enter it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to ZenDao

It should maintain format, but you can test for yourself as the suite is stated as "The Free and Open Productivity Suite".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to ZenDao

You don't need to define any states... Just use the field's built-in tooltip property.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to ZenDao

I don't know what method you used, but all you need to do is create a button field, visible but transparent, and set its Tooltip property to the text you want to show. That's it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to ZenDao

A button is better because you can just leave it as it is, so that clicking on it won't do anything, but the tooltip will still work.
    With a text field, if you want the tooltip to work, you can't set it as read-only, so the user will be able to type into it, which is probably not what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to ZenDao

No, doesn't matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to ZenDao

wait = It means you'll have time while its processing to Drink some coffee. Wait until it completes

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 1:46 AM   in reply to ZenDao

I don't think there's an official limit, but at some point it will exceed the screen limits and won't be usable.

You can't add active links, or formatting of any kind, to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to ZenDao

Yes, it's not a very viable solution for large amounts of text.

I don't think it's a security issue, just how this feature is defined. It's a plain text window, meant to display information, not for user interaction of any kind. As you can see, you can't even move the with mouse above it, as it just disappears.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to ZenDao

i got pdf pro for generating pdf from word with hyperlinks, also combining files and inserting attachment.

i need to generate hyperlinks in most of my .doc files.

for the past year i've been having a colleague do this for me on his windows system. a really inconvenient work around.

this workaround, and others provided here - for a core feature that should work on the mac - are not sustainable.

does anybody know how i can get credit for my purchase so i can switch to the virtual pdf maker which folks say works fine - or credit to use the virtual version? (https://www.acrobat.com/createpdf/en/pricing.html)

thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points