Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects 6 and CC (86:2) and Moov file is damaged or unsupported.

Dec 3, 2013 2:45 PM

I was working on a project and everything was working fine until Mid October.  I was finishing comps outputting proofs and masters.  One day with no updates or system changes that I can remember to make changes, I opened the project to get the "Moov file is damaged or unsupported" error.  Once those errors were done flashing for 13 files, I'd try to open any video file or comp in the project and got the "After Effects Error: Error (4) reading frame from file "_" (86:2)"   I'm no longer able to do anything with that project before errors pop up.  Any video file, or comp with video file that I click gets the 86:2 error.  I've checked previous saved versions of the project, those are doing the same thing.  However starting new projects, I'm able bring in the same files causing errors but I really need to finish the projects that are started.  The clips that used to work and no longer do are ProRes 4444 because I needed an alpha channel for green screen work that's keyed elsewhere.  Some files getting the error are Animation in a .mov container. 

MacPro Mid 2010 - 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

RAM-  8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

OSX 10.7.5

QuickTime 7.6.6

QuickTime 10.1

No 3rd party i/0  (AJA, or BlackMagic) 

4 internal 1TB drives.  One for system, others for client work.  No externals used for this project, but no issues when I do. 

Also running Premiere CC, Audition CC, Photoshop CC, Encore CC, Final Cut 7, FCPX, DVD Studio Pro. 

I've tried all the following found in the following threads and others related to Quicktime errors like I'm getting.  

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime- errors-with-after-effects.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-wit h-quicktime-files-in-after-effects-cc-12-0-because-of-conflict-with-dv cprohdvideoout-quicktime-component.html

-Opening previous saved versions of the project

-Updating to After Effects CC (12.1.0.168)

-Reinstalling QuickTime

-Installing the ProAppQTCodec update mentioned in a forum

-Removing the following components from the QuickTime Library, deleted and emptied trash.  They are now only on a Desktop folder...  all variations of DIVX, DVCPROHD, Flip4Mac, IMXCodec, Perion, XiphQT. 

-Quicktime preview is disabled, it's set to computer monitor only. 

-Making a clone of the hard drive, replacing files with errors.  All problems still existed, so I switched back to original hard drive.  Disc Utility & Data Rescue 3 tests found no problem with the original drive. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to DropFrame

Hi there.

Try removing the DVCPROHD QT component.  This looks very similar to an error I was getting in AE 12.0.

See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5542837#5542837

(Sorry, can't post a hyperlink for some reason)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to DropFrame

The studio I work for is having this same issue and have not been able to solve for 3 months or sense we started subscribing. Support could not repair either taking me through all the same steps as listed in the documents. I am paying for something that simply is not working on our system(s). Also does not function or will not launch on our utitlity MBP. This is a professional studio doing work on feature films and we will classify our subscription to CC as a loss on our taxes since we are unalble to get many of the apps, the ones we use the most, to function in any usable manner. Have not yet canceled but preparing to op for other compositing and editing tools due to these ongoing issues. We have a business to run. I have made calls and sent emails to no resolution. We feel very much like an steady and high level customer being completely ignored. Please post again if you come across any solutions to these issues. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to Jon M

Side note: We haven't as of yet taken the system to scratch and done fresh installs with EVERYTHING. This will be our next attempt to resolve this issue. Optimistic none the less. Will report back (after the holidays) just in case others have had the same or similar issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to Jon M

Jon and DropFrame:

When you get these errors, open Activity Monitor to check if Adobe QT32 Server is running. If it's not, that is why AE is failing to read or write QT files.

Why is QT32 Server not running? There's a variety of reasons, which our blog posts attempt to address. The most recent wrinkle was the issue with QuickTime video out components, but it's not the only reason. In particular, we've also seen audio drivers bring down QT32 Server in the same way. A good troubleshooting step is to uninstall any audio drivers present (which may belong to applications you didn't think installed audio drivers, like certain screen sharing packages, so uninstall those).

If the troubleshooting steps we've posted aren't helping, it's time to dig deeper. Look at the most recent crash logs (instructions here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5507834#5507834) for QT32 Server. Post them so we can look at them.

It's also possible QT32 Server may be running but not able to communicate with AE. Some of our troubleshooting steps target that possibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to DropFrame

Thanks for the file but I'm afraid it's not helpful. What would be useful is the log from Adobe QT32 Server, as that's the application which is crashing. You should be able to find the crash logs in:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

The System Information app will show you a list of installed audio devices/drivers. You can also view the same thing in the Audio Midi Setup app. Both are located in Applications/Utilities. If there are any odd devices, such as SoundFlower (used by iShowU and other applications), try uninstalling those.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to DropFrame

Make sure that you're looking at the Library folder in your user folder, not the Library folder on the drive root.

<drive name>/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Keep in mind that by default, Mac OS hides the user Library folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to DropFrame

Thanks for the file. QT32 Server is crashing on a call to com.apple.QuickTimeComponents.component, and if I'm reading this correctly it fails while enumerating a QuickTime component.

Empty your Library/QuickTime components folder completely. Drag all of the files out to a folder on the desktop to back them up, and then delete them from the original folder. Maybe take a screenshot for us first so we can see what you've got.

If this works, start putting the components back one by one until the problem recurs. Keep in mind that there could be more than one bad component, so keep putting them back one by one even if you find a culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to DropFrame

This log is nearly identical to the last.

Please provide screenshots of the following folders:

System/Library/QuickTime

Library/QuickTime

Try deleting any QuickTime-related files in Users/username/Preferences.

And just to see what happens, create a new user account and test the problem there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

A closer look at the log with one of our developers shows that the crash occurs when trying to read the timecode from one of the files.

I re-read your original post and want to clarify a few things:

• Does this only happen when you open the specific project in question?
    • Can you import the QuickTime files from that project into a new project?
    • Can you import the problem project into a new project?

If this problem is truly only a single project, it may the project itself that is feeding bad information back to QT32 Server. We should troubleshoot the project in that case.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to DropFrame

Would you be willing to share one of the problematic files with me so I can take a look at it? If you don't want to share it with the world, send a link directly to me. My e-mail address is formatted as: myLastName-at-adobe-dot-com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to DropFrame

I've got the file. Looking at it now, but it's not causing failures for me.

What is different between the files that are working and the files that aren't? Codec? Presence of alpha channel? Drive or file location?

The crash in QT32 Server is when it reads timecode. I note that the timecode on the file you sent starts at 1;00;00;00. That isn't a problem, but is that the expected timecode? Is that different than the files that are working?

Also, the file you sent me did not have the .mov extension. I had to add that, otherwise AE won't recognize the file you sent me. Even if I force AE to try to read the file, it fails, though it does not crash QT32 Server. Does the file lack the extension on your machine? Does the problem go away if you add the extension?

Also also, if you import this file into Premiere Pro do you experience the same problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to DropFrame

I'm able to successfully import the file you gave me on Mac 10.8.5 and 10.7.5. Haven't yet tried it on Windows.

Does Premiere Pro give you errors with these files?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to DropFrame

Sorry for the slow reply. We were busy releasing the After Effects CC (12.2) update.

I am a bit stumped with your problem right now. I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling After Effects CC. (Uninstall by going to Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers. Reinstall by quitting and restarting the Adobe Creative Cloud manager application, or reboot.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to DropFrame

I received your additional crash logs. Thank you.

All of your crash logs for QT32 Server are the same: the crash occurs when it tries to read the timecode of a file.

I would like to know what application you used to generate these files, and what settings you use. I'd also like to see more of the files, if you wouldn't mind sending them to me.

At this point the situation is unclear, because the one QuickTime file you sent me works on multiple machines in my office.

However, because I have to take the extra step of adding the file extension, something you don't have to do on your machine to make the file work, I remain suspicious of these files.

In order to be of additional help, I need to very specifically know:

1. Does the problem occur with ANY QuickTime file? For example, if you create a new comp in AE with nothing but a text layer, and render that out to QuickTime, does the problem occur with it?
    2. Or does the problem only occur with certain QuickTime files? If so, what is common about these files? Where did they come from?

Here's what I'm thinking: we're looking at one of two different troubleshooting paths. Either there is something about your files that is causing QT32 Server to crash, or something in QuickTime on your system has broken and is causing the crash. Since you're experiencing the problem on more than one computer, I suspect the former but can't rule out the latter (especially if you tend to configure both computers in the same way).

If you are stuck in your work, my recommendation is to transcode these files to a different format. That may mean QuickTime with a different codec, or to a different format entirely like a TIFF sequence with alpha.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to DropFrame

Glad to hear that it's working. Post back if it fails again.

Yes, the fact that QT32 Server is crashing will cause all QuickTime files to fail in AE. This is why I've been trying to understand whether only specific files, or a specific class of files, are causing you the problem.

The latest crash log you sent shows exactly the same failure, a divide-by-zero error when reading timecode from the file. The movie files you sent are working for me, in the same way as the last file: I have to add the .mov extension in order for AE to even recognize them, and then they work without problem. (One of our developers told me that this means the files lack the resource fork, which is an old but still-valid remnant of Apple's pre-OSX file system. That's fairly odd, especially if the files came from Final Cut.)

From where did you move the files, and where did you move them to? If this makes a difference, combined with the oddness of me having to add an extension when you don't, my concern would be that something in your file system is to blame.

I am also curious if new files, or re-exporting these same clips, from Final Cut will exhibit the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to DropFrame

Interesting; this would point to that single file being bad.

Just remember that any time you get that error, check to see if Adobe QT32 Server is active in Activity Monitor. Presuming not, since it is crashing in this case, you need to quit and restart AE in order to perform a valid test on the next file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points