Skip navigation
randym11
Currently Being Moderated

Words in Library item containing links disappear when inserted into layer object on some web pages

Dec 3, 2013 2:11 PM

Words in Library item containing links disappear when inserted into layer object on some but not all web pages. Of the 9 web pages, insertion of a library item into a newly created layer object works fine, but on two pages the insertion of the library object results in the structure (table) being there but with no visible words on which the links are made.When I open the "blank" library item in the library editor... the words are there! Some setting in two of the pages is blanking the words!! When I view the page in the browser, only the link of the page I am on is visible. The library item is bottom of the page navigation table pointing to all 9 of the pages of the site.  I would like any insight on what might be doing this...

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to randym11

Hard to say without seeing the website.

Can you please upload the site to the web and post a link so we can view it in our browsers?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to randym11

APDivs or Layers are always a poor solution in primary layouts.  Stacking order may account for your issue.  If the z-index of the Library Item is lower than another superimposed layer, the links in your LI will be invisible.   To confirm this, turn off your CSS.  Go to View > Style Rendering > Disable Display Styles.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to randym11

You need to procure web server space from a commerical hosting provider.  Based on the info they give you, enter your FTP log-in credentials into your site definition settings.  Site > Manage Sites or New site.  See screenshots.

DW-CS6-LocalSiteFolderDef.jpg

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Once your site is fully defined, you should be able to upload files to your remote server from the Files Panel (F8) by clicking on the UP arrow.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to randym11

The problem isn't with your Library Item.  The problem is with your CSS and absolute positioning.  If I disable position: absolute from #Layer24, I can see everything just fine. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to randym11

Unfortunately, your whole layout approach is defective.  Positioning is not needed for any of this and actually creates serious usability problems because positioning removes content from the normal document flow. 

In addition, you've been copying & pasting formatted text from MS Word which injected junk code into your HTML. 

If I were re-building your site, I would create a template like this.  View source in browser to see the HTML code.

http://alt-web.com/sandbox/Taylor/

Here's the CSS

http://alt-web.com/sandbox/Taylor/styles.css

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to randym11

No problem.  I'll leave it up for a week or so.   Design View is not reliable.  At best it's an approximation of what you might expect to see in older browser.  For best results, use Split View with Live View so you can pay attention to your code.  Also Preview in browsers often to check your work.   If you run into problems use the W3C code validation tools to check for errors.

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points