Skip navigation
Emlynarts
Currently Being Moderated

Can a file be exported as columns?

Dec 3, 2013 3:23 PM

My client wants me to export a file produced for print column by column for mobile devices, and the only ways I can think of to make this work will take a LOT of  time (that he is not willing to pay for). I am running an older version of Creative Suite and am planning to upgrade soon, but am not sure this would help make the kind of files he thinks he wants. We know that the PDFs can be viewed and enlarged as we currently offer this as an option, but he wants the stories to come into the mobile device large enough to read the story without having to expand the file on the device.

So experts:  will the newest version of the PDF writer offer us any options without rebuilding the entire paper/file?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to Emlynarts

Simple answer, no.

PDF is a page-based format that is specifically designed to look the same no matter where it's displayed. Some mobile reader apps can switch to "reflow" mode, attempting to fit the text to a narrower width on demand, but it's never very reliable and it certainly does not change the file.

The only option is to recreate the document from the original materials, in the required layout style. If you're using InDesign CC that would be relatively simple as you can spawn a new layout within the same document, keeping the content in sync.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points