Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stuck on "Quick Apply"

Dec 4, 2013 9:08 AM

Hello all,

Adobe InDesign is behaving strangely. I have about one hour of work that I don't want to lose, please help.

I was working in a text box and pressed Enter... up popped a box, "Quick Apply". But I cannot get rid of it. Hitting the ESC key, clicking the [x] have no effect. However, Control-Z (UNDO) works in the background.

Then I hit an F key (F4-6) not sure... I was just hiting a bunch of keys trying to elicit a useful response. But one of these F keys popped up a new message, "Save changes to the Adobe InDesign document....... before closing" I didn't even know there was an F key to close InDesign!! Worse, I am stuck on this now! I cannot click Yes or Cancel. I even tried using the keyboard cursor arrows and tab key to manually select Yes or Cancel. Yes, even the ESC key fails to close this box.

BTW, since Quick Apply is out of focus, I can no longer grab it and move it around, but I can move the Save document box.

Scratch that, I was able to press ESC and close the save box.

Further experimenting... I was able to Hit Control-Shift-S and save the project. Note: I could not edit the name or change the location or even click Save... but I was able to press Enter and save.

Any ideas about what happened?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to shawninvancouver

The first thing to try when InDesign acts strangely is to try restoring your preferences. Here's how:

FAQ: How do I reset or "trash" preferences?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to shawninvancouver

What happened is that you pressed a key or a combination of keys that did it.

But seriously, good that you found your way to the useful keystroke to close InDesign.

If you smack away at the keys again a bunch of times, and can reproduce the strange behavior one or more times, it's a bug, and you can report it here: ADOBE WISHFORM.

I've reported a persistent Quick Apply bug, over the past few releases, a form of which is still present. Namely: if you leave InDesign open for a long time while workiing on other applications, then return to InDesign and then invoke Quick Apply, whether by keystroke or menu, Quick Apply will freeze then InDesign will freeze. This is not the same as the problem you reported.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers