Skip navigation
dbregande
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CC keeps flattening/rasterizing my effects!

Dec 4, 2013 8:29 AM

I have a very simple logo I am working on, and there are a few elements that have a fill, stroke and drop shadow applied. Every time I save the file and have to re-open it, all of the effects are rasterized, and the stroke and fill are split into a "grouped" object. It is maddening.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to dbregande

Are these files from an older version?

Do a "save as", don't just save, because then you'll save to the old version.

Gaussian blur has been updated. It's part of the drop shadow and this is because it gets flattened when saving to an older version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to dbregande

Sounds like you may be saving it as a .eps file format which will not support transparency. If this is the case then double check the settings you invoke when you save a file. Save as Native .ai file and see if the same rastering and flattening takes place.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 3:25 AM   in reply to dbregande

Can you post such a file (the version before it is flattened) somewhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to dbregande

We have this problem when saves CS6 files as CS5. Only happens on certain effects and more often when you use the appearacne palette in a more advanced fashion, stacking fills and strokes.

Do a save as in CC, and choose cc verison 17 or whatever they call this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to dbregande

dbregande wrote:

If that doesn't re-create the issue for other users, I can post a simple CS6 file somewhere to see if for some reason this is unique to me.

your assumption is correct: this doesn't recreate the issue. I save between versions regularly and I have never seen your problem when opening files in higher versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to dbregande

I'm having a similar problem. Working in CC and we have to save down to CS5 for the others in the office that are still on the old version. Any effects are converted to raster when reopened in either CC or CS5. What a major PITA! I can open files that have effects and were originally created in CS5 and not have problems. It seems to only happen when I down save from CC.

So I'm searching for a fix and will post one if I find it elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to lomaxd

It seems to only happen when I down save from CC.

of course it does.

New functions have been intorduced and old functions have been revamped.

You need to take special care of everything that includes Gaussian Blur (which is the effect itself as well as Dropshadow, Glow and Blur). And Pattern brushes.

It doesn't make too much sense to work in a mixed environment when you need to exchange files regularly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

You need to take special care of everything that includes Gaussian Blur (which is the effect itself as well as Dropshadow, Glow and Blur). And Pattern brushes.

Taking special care when adding an effect will not change the outcome when we have to down save. And I realize that functions will be revamped, but some backwards compatibilty would be nice. I can create a Drop Shadow in CS5 as well as CC, and they look identical, even with a maxed out zoom. If their fuctionality has increased somehow, I'd love for an Adobe tech to explain why, so I can exploit it instead of hating it's current incompatibility.

It doesn't make too much sense to work in a mixed environment when you need to exchange files regularly.

Tell that to the suits and the crappy economy they are blaming for the partial upgrade.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points