Skip navigation
EPHRAIM GITELMAN
Currently Being Moderated

TRANSFERRING PSE 11 ALBUMS  TO PSE12

Dec 4, 2013 9:58 AM

I EXPORTED PSE11 ALBUMS TO A FILE.  i IMPORTED THE FILES TO PSE12.  THE FILES APPEARED.  WHEN i CLICKED ON ANY ONE OF THEM

NOTHI NG HAPPENED. THE CONTENTS OF THE FILES DID NOT APPEAR

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 4, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

Did you not upgrade your previous catalog during installation? If not go to File >> Manage Catalogs >> Convert

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 4, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

What type of files? You exported new duplicates and then imported to PSE12 from the new folder?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

EPHRAIM GITELMAN wrote:

I EXPORTED PSE11 ALBUMS TO A FILE.  i IMPORTED THE FILES TO PSE12.  THE FILES APPEARED.  WHEN i CLICKED ON ANY ONE OF THEM

NOTHI NG HAPPENED. THE CONTENTS OF THE FILES DID NOT APPEAR

When you copy albums to files via the dropdown menu of the albums section, you copy the structure of the albums, you don't copy their contents (the picture files), you copy the album categories and names, the 'containers', not the contents.

That is meant to export the structure to another catalog.

If you want to copy the contents of albums (the picture files), select all files in the album and export them somewhere. You'll be able to import thoses copies (get photos and videos... from files and folders) into another catalog.

I think the wording in the menu is totally misleading; it's the same with saving tags and categories to files

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

Yes, you had real photos in your albums, but they were not saved into the saved 'album file'. The resulting file: albums.xml is a small text file, it could not store a single picture file.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 4, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

I don’t really understand why you are exporting from PSE11. If you converted your previous catalog the albums should show up as local albums in PSE12.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to EPHRAIM GITELMAN

EPHRAIM GITELMAN wrote:

I set a file in my hard sdisk as pse 11 album  I then copied the album using the file menu export to new files.  When I tried to open the file in the hard sik  disk the file didn;t show any images.

When you export picture files, they are copied where you want (with various options, but they are not included in the catalog. You have to import them in the catalog, the current one or another catalog.

The idea behind 'exporting' is to make a copy of your files available to external tools : that can be another management or editing program or another PSE catalog (each catalog ignores what is done in another).

If what you want is to move files elsewhere while keeping them in the catalog the solution is to use the 'Folders' panel, show the folder tree structure and drag and drop a subfolder or a folder branch elsewhere. The files are moved and the catalog is updated for the new location.

There is no option to copy files in the organizer to avoid creating duplicates.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points