Skip navigation
Zoë Woodworth
Currently Being Moderated

Align / smart guides not working

Dec 4, 2013 9:43 AM

Tags: #illustrator #bug #align #smart_guides #cc

I am having a super-weird problem. I have a black rectangle that I would like to be exactly the same width as a larger white rectangle. When I try aligning the left edges, it is ever so slightly off. When I turn on smart guides and try to transform the black rectangle to snap to the white rectangle's left edge, the same thing happens -- ever so slightly off.

There are only 3 rectangles in the entire .ai, and I have checked to make sure that snap to pixels / snap to grid are turned off. I have quit and restarted the program.

Any clue why align is being funky, or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to Zoë Woodworth

Any chance the edge of the rectangle is really close to the edge of the artboard?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Zoë Woodworth

Well, it is frustrating that you can't prevent things from snapping to the artboard edge, but I've never found a reason to have such a narrow margin around the artboard. Even if the artboard is the size of your sheet of paper, printers generally can't print that close to the edge anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Zoë Woodworth

It sounds like something is going on with the alignment using the align tool. You could, if need be do it the old fashion way by the numbers. Entering numeric values fo X and Y positions to align exactly. This can be done with copy and paste too.

Wait, you may need to check how your aligning in Preferences.

Are you aligning to Preview Bounds or to the actual vectors?

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.05.58 AM.png

Or… Vector

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.05.15 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to Zoë Woodworth

Ah. Generally when I'm in the situation where the ad size is 2" x 3.5" and I want an inset box just a bit smaller than that, I do the mental math, create a box the exact size anywhere on the artboard, then click the "Align to Artboard" button and finally align the box horizontally and vertically.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Zoë Woodworth

I just tried snapping with the alignment tools and smart guides a rectangle to another one that is 0.14" from the edge of the artboard and I can't reproduce this problem. It always works as expected and even snaps  when it is as close as possible but not exactly on the edge. CS5 Windows7

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points