Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating template editable regions makes everything go sideways!

Dec 4, 2013 10:21 AM

Tags: #cs4 #template

I'm trying to turn a page layout I've just created in Dreamweaver CS4 into a template with various editable regions.

Weirdly, when I make the main content area of my page into an editable region, the entire page jumps sideways in Design Vew - like this:

In this screen grab I've selected the main content area (the black bit) as an editable region, given it a name, and I'm about to click OK:

As soon as I click OK, the editable region is created as normal. In the screengrab below you can see the blue tag in the top left cormer of the black area.

But the entire page has jumped sideways! As far as I can see, there's no change to the code to make this happen:

The only thing I can think of is that selecting a div (rather than the content inside the div) throws everything out somehow. But as I don't have any content in that div, there's nothing to select apart from the div itself.

Should I put some dummy text in the black area, and then select that to define the editable region?

I also tried to select my main container div as an editable region - to make a template where everything is editable. It would actually be quite useful if I could create a template which is one big editable region - if that's possible. But the same thing happened - everything jumped sideways.

How can I stop the page jumping around when I create editable regions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to Michael_S_J

We can't see your screenshots.  Layout issues are driven by your HTML and CSS code.   The simple insertion of Editable Regions into your template.dwt file should not cause your layout to fall apart.  So something else is amiss.

Check your  code for errors.

Code Validation Tools

------------------------------------

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Michael_S_J

What matters is how your page looks in browsers.  Design View is not 100% reliable.  I rarely use it.  For best results use Live View in Split View.  And frequently Preview in browsers during development to check your work.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to Michael_S_J
    I assume it's possible to make the container div one big editable region - so the entire template is editable?

Counterproductive.  It defeats the whole reason for using a template in the 1st place.

Ideally, you want to keep site wide elements such as your common header, footer, menu and sidebars outside Editable Regions so they will populate to all Child Pages spawned from that Template. 

Editable Regions are reserved for bits of content here and there that will change from page to page.  Otherwise, there's no point in using templates.

Before proceeding, I urge you to thoroughly read F1 (Help) about DW Templates. 

They can be a little tricky.  80% of site planning goes into the main template so you need to do it right.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points