Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

NO MORE MP2 ENCODING????? !!!!!!!!!

Dec 4, 2013 10:09 AM

NO MORE DVDS!!!! THIS IS A HHHUUUGGGEEE ROADBLOCK FOR ME AND MY PAYING CUSTOMERS. I WILL LEAVE THE CREATIVE CLOUD AFTER I FIND SOFTWARE THAT MAKES DVDS!!!! GOODBYE ADOBE!!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to drewhardwick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to drewhardwick

SHOUTING will not help... there will NOT be an EncoreCC http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/faq.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to drewhardwick

You can ask Adobe to either reinstate Encore or to develop some other DVD/BD authoring software at the link below.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to drewhardwick

Just because they say something online does not make it written in stone. They can go back on anything they want at any time.

Dont be so sure....

Here is a quote from a friend of this forum but  lifted from another one.

In short, Encore is based around code from Sonic. Rovi bought Sonic and the code from Sonic that Encore is based on is no longer developed. So, Encore is dead. Rovi's business is based around streaming.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to shooternz

This is a very frustrating situation. I've looked around, and any other sources either deliver crafty cool flashy amateur dvd "authoring" ... or are bloody expensive. I don't need to make 100 a week, just 2-4 some weeks, others none. My clients are young adults through elderly, and most still want something handed to them even when getting "digital" files. Paying $1000+ for something that does decent pro-looking output is not in my profitability curve ... but using something designed to put pretty flowers on the menus with gosh-awful text options isn't an option either.

And a couple of the companies I've had early discussions about making internal training/teaching videos with do NOT want to put that material on-line. There may be internal things that they don't want competitors or clients to "hear". And given how oft one hears of hacked companies these days, they simply want to be able to put in a disc and then take it back to their office afterward.

Their publicity/public-relations/marketing stuff, sure, that's going on-line and can 'arrive' online also. Training stuff ... um ... no.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to drewhardwick

What is the problem with using the existing Encore version?

Well, then Adobe needs to write one of their own programs instead of trying to tell the users that DVD/BD burning is out of date.

Ye sir..right away sir...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to drewhardwick

For about the price of one month's rental of CC, you can own this:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to Peru Bob

Peru Bob,

I'd note there were some critical comments in the reviews on that site ... including taking a looooonnnnngggg time to create a b-d, and difficulties with subtitles and such-not. Do you have experience with this program?

Further, I went through a number of reviews, and didn't see anyone listed yet for other than "home" use ... sigh.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Remind me Neil...but dont you already have Encore with CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooter-nz,

Yes, I do ... but as noted above, if Adobe isn't doing squat to keep Encore 'active' ... it will not be too long until it will be unusable, realistically. Next month, no, of course not. But let's see ... how many programs over the last decade have I used that have become 'inactive' ... unfortunately, way too many. And I'm all too familiar with what happens when say your word-processing program becomes 'inactive' ... then dead ... with all the projects one had in it. Um ... WordPerfect, AmiPro, and the earlier MS Word. We've still got a computer with like Word 97 on it, so that if needed we can actually access some of the studio documents of the 90's, as the current Word product does not go back that far.

It's "way off in the future" now until Encore's completely and totally dead ... but that future will be here, and it's going to 'feel' like it comes a lot sooner than we probably think right now. Who knows, maybe the world will end by 2016?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx is another... and, NO, I have not used it

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Yes, I do ... but as noted above, if Adobe isn't doing squat to keep Encore 'active' ... it will not be too long until it will be unusable, realistically. Next month, no, of course not. But let's see ... how many programs over the last decade have I used that have become 'inactive' ...

Hey Neil.

Your argument will apply to anything you choose.

Carpe diem.

"dont worry about something that has not happened and something you can do nothing about."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to shooternz

I think it's a matter of degree.  In 30 years time, PP could well be dead software and we'd have no way to edit without investing in new software.  But given OS advances, that same could apply to Encore in as little as 3 years.

The problem here is that we'd have to pay about 10x what Encore originally cost to get something with comparable capabilities.  There's really nothing less than about $3,000 out there that can do everything Encore could do, so that's a very real problem because physical disk delivery will be with us a LOT longer than three years.

I just don't think you can look at this an anything other than Adobe dropping the ball too soon.  It'd be nice if they'd pick it back up either with developing their own new program, or buying someone out, and returning full featured disk authoring to the mix with even greater capabilities than Encore had.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to shooternz

"dont worry about something that has not happened and something you can do nothing about."

I am still waiting for anyone running Mavericks to say that Encore is working well enough to use for production work. So for Mac users who reasonably want to move to the latest OS, Encore may be badly damaged if not unusable. I worry the windows time may come to soon. Hopefully not.

Adobe isn't doing squat to keep Encore 'active' ... it will not be too long until it will be unusable,

The difference is that Adobe is committed to keeping tools that will allow you to keep editing material that is necessary for working editors. So knowing that CS5 or CS6 will eventually experience possible OS problems, is balanced against knowing that Adobe will provide some option. (There is CC after all.) But for Encore, there is no support and no work to help do ANY DVD/BD authoring beyond what exists in Encore. And every reason to believe that Adobe will leave this function to third party tools; if they exist at that point in the future.

I have stated in other threads that I believe Adobe may have lost its ability to license Encore for future versions, or the cost became problematic. There is probably a bigger picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

So for Mac users who reasonably want to move to the latest OS...

Mac Users compulsively and herd like ...will always move to the latest OS.

No rhyme or reason if they are  using a perfectly working NLE...except its what Mac users do.

Fix it til its broke!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

R. Neil Haugen wrote:

Peru Bob,

Further, I went through a number of reviews, and didn't see anyone listed yet for other than "home" use ... sigh.

Neil

The studio version of architect does have some limitations and is problably more suitable for "home" users.

The stuido version doesn't support multiple audio tracks, subtitles and dvd scripting. Ac3 is also only supported on dvd, not on blu-ray. 23.976p and 24p is also not supported on blu-ray.

The pro version doesn't have any of these limitations, but the pro version doesn't support multi-page menues or popup menues on blu-ray.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to PMK3

PMK3,

I love replying to um ... alpha-numerical ephemeral beings? ... 

Yea, I'd seen the list of things it can do in various forms ... and how MANY things aren't on those lists for either product. NOT a particularly robust, professional piece of work. Ah well ... we've got a few months to a couple years of still being able to use Encore on the PC side of things. Sorry for the Mac people, though ...

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Seriously, I believe that the solution is to keep an older model computer around with a DVD writer and Encore CS6 installed. While it may not work with the next version of Windows or Mac OS, it certainly works now. So don't get rid of the old PC. Make sure to upgrade before the thing dies. Keep it around for compatibility issues.

I always have an old PC hanging around. Really. Don't you? Doesn't almost everyone have something in a closet that they are not using?

I don't think that SD DVDs will be around much longer than another 5 years or so, but BD should last another decade or more for some users, even after H.265 becomes the standard.

But just because the new PC sitting on the desk can't use CS6 doesn't mean the one next to it, or in the closet, can't.

Right?

Would I prefer an Encore CC? Sure. But if it isn't going to happen, then protect yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven,

Yes, we've typically had an old computer hanging around. However, there IS a limit to how long ... it is even useful to do so, IF you want to take "modern" material into an older program. I note you mentioned the on-coming H.265 "standard", and with the constantly evolving sensors/cameras/on-board processors/hardware changes the file format naturally change year to year. It won't be too long before any format/codec you want to use won't be compatible/read/used-properly by Encore CS6. So that will require output in an old, less-good format/codec.

If we have to, of course, that's what we'll do. Certainly won't be an optimal situation. And I've had some comments by coder-type/aware friends that well, don't think someone else is going to jump in and fill that pro-type dvd/bd "void" left by encore. There's already the multi-grand cost ones out there for the medium/big-fish to use, the cheapos for the home/crafters to use ... that middle market, and yes it will be steadily shrinking ... just isn't an attractive enterprise to sink your next couple years into coding for. Considering you always have to work to avoid your code looking like trademarked/copyrighted/patented code that's already out there. Oh, and build for both Win & Mac, completely different beast that they are.

Oh ... and it would need to play nicely with Adobe, DaVinci, Vegas, whatever ... also. Right.

So unless Adobe re-ups the ol' Encore (which as has been noted, may be a rights-to-code problem for them now) well, we're kinda sitting out there without too many "good" options now, or perhaps, likely.

So yea. Keep Encore CS6 working for as long as its' usable.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

I don't know the format, but I have noticed that Sony provides a hard drive to play the files on its 4K television.

Could that be the way of the future? Download to a hard drive and play from there? Makes sense, doesn't it?

But there still needs to be a menu system. I wonder how that works.

Yes, eventually CS6 will be out of date. But it will continue to work with BD and DVD. What happens when we go H.265?

All I can tell you is that I will probably buy something the week before a new method or standard is announced and available for pre-order.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Whats the betting Adobe will say that the H264 re-encoding problem with CC is the fault of Encore, which they now don't support. End of the line already!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points