Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fonts not working between computers?

Dec 5, 2013 8:35 AM

I am opeing a coworkers files in Illustrator, we both have the same version of illustrator (CS6) and the same fonts installed, but for some reason they're displaying differently on my computer than on his.

They're not missing - I didn't get an error when I opened the files, and highlighting the text doesn't give me a Font Family with an asterisk after it like it would if it were missing. So it seems like they should be working fine, and they sort of are. Anything in Franklin Gothic Demi seems to be Franklin Gothic Demi, for example, but the pt size, leading, tracking - all that sort of thing seems to be off.

Any ideas why that would be?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Silfron

Silfron wrote:

... but the pt size, leading, tracking - all that sort of thing seems to be off...

Seems to be or is off? Are the values for those attributes different on both computers?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Silfron

I am opeing a coworkers files in Illustrator, we both have the same version of illustrator (CS6) and the same fonts installed, but for some reason they're displaying differently on my computer than on his...

... I have Illustrator files, and PDFs that were created from the illustrator files. When I open the illustrator files, some of the type is noticably larger than in the PDF, and ...

You lost me

Are you comparing the same file being open in two different programs? If yes which  programs?  If you are comparing two different files AI and PDF that were supposedly created from the same AI file but look different you can save your AI file as PDF and compare it with the other PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to Silfron

Not sure if I am confusing the issue but, I am assuming you are on a mac, have you tried the font book preference?...see below.

Disable or enable fonts

Disabled fonts remain on your Mac, but aren’t listed in apps, the Fonts menu, or the Fonts window.

Open Font Book

1. In Font Book, select one or more collections, font families, or styles.You can’t disable system fonts; these fonts have a lock icon next to the font name at the bottom of the Font Book window.
    2. Deselect or select the checkbox below the list of fonts. To disable or enable a collection, choose the command from the Edit menu.Disabled fonts appear in gray and are labeled “Off.”

By default, Font Book locates and enables fonts on your Mac, even if you haven’t installed the fonts using Font Book. To turn this feature off, choose Font Book > Preferences, then deselect “Automatic font activation.”

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Silfron

What is the exact name of the font that is not showing correctly?

Close down all your fonts except what you need, you may have a font loaded that uses the same FOND ID number. Then clear your font cache. http://jamapi.com/pr/fn/

Type 1 is a font technology over 25 years old, and those fonts can corrupt your cache, along with problems such as pdfs erroring saying a font is missing. I suggest swapping an opentype version of a font for type 1 version. The fonts with the red a are type 1. Myriad is one of the newer type fonts, and not that much of a problem as 

Type >> find font

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 9.01.17 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Silfron

Silfron wrote:

Sorry, it's difficult to describe. ...

I agree describing is not easy, and you have to try again

I have his original Illustrator file and a PDF that were created from the AI file.

When I open it in AI, ...

What do you open in AI? The PDF, the Illustrator file, or both? The key question you need to answer is what programs (the names of the programs please) you are using to compare the files.

Try this, open both, the illustrator file and the PDF file in the Illustrator program. Is there a difference?

If I export a PDF, it looks the same as it does for me in AI, with the fonts wrong.

In other words, you sound like saying that if you have the .ai file open in Illustrator and go File > Save As > PDF which after this leaves the same file open in Illustrator, it changes its font appearance? I have a feeling that this is not what you are doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to Silfron

Ok, thank you, finally you mentioned the name of another program "Acrobat"

Now you have to say which Acrobat and version. There are Acrobat readers, Acrobat pro, etc.

Silfron wrote:

If I open the PDF in Acrobat, it looks normal.

If I open the PDF in Illustrator the fonts are off.

I gather from your previous posts that you didn't create this file but received it. Then what makes you decide when it is normal and when it is off?

Now try this. Open the .ai file in Illustrator. Then go File > Save As and from the Save as Type choose Adobe PDF. Then open that pdf file in Acrobat you are using. Is there a difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to Silfron

These instructions are based on my version which is older but if not the same you should find the equivalents.

Open the file in Acrobat and choose File > Properties, go to the Fonts tab and check the name of the fonts used in the Document and their embedded status.

To find out the size of fonts, choose Tools > Advance Editing > Touchup Text tool. Select some text, right click and choose properties. While the Touchup Properties window is open you can select different text to see its size and properties.

Then compare the font properties in Acrobat and in Illustrator and see if there is difference in the properties.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to Silfron

So far it seems to me that the fonts in Acrobat are embedded and it is not using the fonts in your system which may have the same names but different version which changes the appearance even when the same font properties are used. This can to be verified by comparing the font files versions in your system and your co-worker's. If that's the case you have to obtain the exact same font files as your co-worker's.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points