Skip navigation
nicolemariesalon
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Questions

Dec 5, 2013 1:05 PM

I am trying to order my business cards and brouchures that I made on InDesign through FedEx but everytime I save them to my desktop they just show up plain white.  They both have a black background with white print including my logo.  Can someone help me to figure out why I can't see them when I view or save out of InDesign? Thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Did you add a frame filled with Black as a background?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Yes, but there's really no need, I think.

Let's see if we can figure out how the file is built. How did you make the black background?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Can you post a screen shot of the card with boththe background and the text selected (you can do a Select All) and the swatches panel visible? I'm having trouble coming up with a way you could have black background and white type WITHOUT a background frame...

You can embed your screen capture in a post by using the camea icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

nicolemariesalon wrote:

I did that but it said "The content type of this image in not allowed"

The forum will accept jpeg, png or bmp, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Make a screen shot, save that as .png or .jpg, and use that withthe camera icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

OK, I see what you've done. You redefined [Paper] to be black, then created a new swatch for white. This will not work.

[Paper], no matter how you define it means "no ink here -- let the paper show through." You can redfine it to make it easier to visualize what your project will look like when you print on colored stock, but it has no output. Similarly, you don't typically print white, you leave a hole in theother color and let the white paper show through.

So....

Redefine the [Paper] swatch back the the default white color, make a new layer to hold your black background (this makes it easier to work) and drag a rectangle large enough to cover the whole page, plus the required bleed allowance, and fill it with [Black] or a 4-color rich black mix (more expensive to print, but you've already got a full-color photo so you're payijng for full color anyway and it will look darker), then lock the layer. Use the [Paper] swatch for the fill color for the type.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

I'm sure I'll be around at least part of the day.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

InDesign relies on "stacking order", the arraingment of one item higher up the stack than other items. (Think about ten playing cards randomly thrown on top of each other. You will only see the corner of cards sticking out beneath the top card)

Stacking Order is all the items on a layer, and layers above/below layers.

You ended up with your black filled frame higher in the stack than the type frame.

Layers are helpful. (They can be locked to prevent selecting the black frame as you modify/add type or other elements)

Capture.JPG

You're going to stumble (fail) much in this endeavor to create your materials. Unless you are very artistic/creative/adept at design, you might want to hand off your concepts to someone qualified at this. Pardon the bluntness.  I can do anything in InDesign I have been handed to re-create, but in ten years have only "designed" a handful of pieces I'm proud of.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

I'm really sorry I forgot to mention stacking to you last night. My sincere apologies for foretting that it wasn't obvious that your background frame needs to be behind the text frames. You can select it, then Object > Arrange > Send to Back, but as Daniel mentions, this is actually a good place to use a layer that is dedecated to just the background frame (and drag that layer to the bottom of the stack in the layers panel, then Lock it after you make your background frames to prevent accidentally activating it as a text frame).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Yes, you are actually close to complete.

Either - Select the black frame and (from the Object Menu) Arrange > Send to Back

or - create a new layer. Move the type objects to the higher layer. (I might create the layer, than select all, click the black frame to de-select it, than on the layers panel, slide the square dot on the layer to the higher, new layer).

It would be prudent to preview you work via - Hit W on the keyboard (without the type tool active), and/or from the view menu, toggle Overprint Preview, my preferred working mode. (It accuartley displays overprints/effects)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

We forget to tell you about Rich Black...

Rich Black is made from C.M.Y, and K inks and looks darker than just the regular [Black] ink in print (which is only 100% K, no C,M or Y). You can see the differnce on screen, too if you set the prefernces for Appearance of Black to Display all Blacks Accurately.

The trick is to use a mix that will print without puddling or offestting onto the back of the next sheet, or flaking off on a laser print, and that depends on the press/printer conditions. You'd probably be safe on any device using a mix of 50C, 40M, 40Y, 100K, but you could reduce the K to as little as 80-85 without much penalty in terms of appearance, and it might actually print better. The cyan value is higher to compensate for the tendency of equal values of C,M and Y to be a little brown rather than black or gray.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

You don't need to recreate everything.

Make a new file, then add the background black frames on layer 1. Lock the layer, and click the new layer button at the bottom of the layers panel.

Now go to your other file, select your text and images, and copy. Go back to the new file and Paste In Place.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

From where are you dragging?

You should save as .psd or PDF (if there is live typ or other vector content) from Photoshop, and place that.

You can scale it in ID. One way would be to resize the frame, then choose Fit to Frame Proportionally from the fitting options.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Ok. Let's go back to the beginning here.

The [Paper] swatch should be white, not black.

Create a new file in InDesign. Add a black-filled frame for the background, then lock the layer. Add a second layer for your other content.

Save your logo in PHOTOSHOP as either .psd OR PDF (use PDF if there is live type or vector content) with a transparent background.

Use File > Place... to add the logo. DO NOT DRAG it from Photoshop (you can drag from Mac Finder, Windows Explorer, or Bridge, but nowhere else).

Add text frames and set your type using [Paper] for the text fill color.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Use the rectangle tool to draw a frame that fills the page. Select the fill icon in the swatches panel to make it active and fill it with black.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

If you used the correct settings for the PDF, then Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

Since I don't know waht your printer is looking for, I can't say if that's the right setting. High Quality Print is usually used for digital printing. It does not convert RGB images to CMYK, but that may not be a problem. Did you get any guidelines from FedEx?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to nicolemariesalon

To do something the online service consider non-standard you'll probably need to use a local printer.

In the US, a standard business card is 3.5 x 2 inches, but some online printers offer other sizes as well (Moo.com comes to mind).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points