Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best way to remove text from an image, preserving the background colour?

Dec 5, 2013 2:54 PM

Tags: #image #logo #print

Hi All,

I need to remove the '.com.au' from this jpeg version of a logo I have to use it for a magazine print file I am working on in indesign. I have opened the file in Illustrator (it is a very large file because it was designed for outdoor sinage.) and I thought I had better ask about the best way to do it without it affecting image or print quality.

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 9.47.17 am.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-06 at 9.41.48 am.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

JIH,

It would be more obvious to remove it in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

Is it a vector file?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

Then you need to use Photoshop as Jacob said.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

You can also just put a rectangle with the background color over .com.au to hide it, and then if necessary clip the whole sign along with the rectangle to frame it as desired.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

In Photoshop, use the Eyedropper tool > click on the Black at the spot you plan to "retouch".  That should put the color in your tool palette ( at the bottom where the background and foreground color is shown.  The color will come in as the "foreground" color ( upper left ) > put the color in the "background" by clicking on the arrows ( it will now be in the bottom right.  Do not use any rectangles to cover up the text you want to delete.  Instead, just select the area around the text and hit the "delete" key ( do this on a copy and rename the file something appropriate.  While you are at it, size the file down...Image > Image Size.  Input something close to the final size @ 300ppi > Save the new file as a .tiff CMYK file that you can now "Place" at around 100% final size in your ad.  The advantage to doing the retouch this way is you will end up with a seamless color match that will be almost impossible to detect.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 7:35 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

JadeImHungry wrote:

... I have gone wrong somewhere I think.

Yes, you are not following the instructions .

Try this. Open the file in Photoshop. Press the i key on your keyboard and click on the black color you want. Press the m key and draw a rectangle over what you want to remove. Press Alt + Delete. If on a mac Option + Delete.

tip, while drawing the selection rectangle you can also hold the Space bar to reposition it.

By the way my suggestion in my previous post was valid to do it directly in inDesign, and also Illustrator as well. The difference with Photoshop is that there you are just hiding (blocking) the unwanted parts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to JadeImHungry

Great!

but you forgot to remove the dot at the end

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status