Skip navigation
elemme
Currently Being Moderated

5760 x 1080 video

Dec 6, 2013 3:31 PM

I am creating short (30 second) videos for a video wall with a resolution of 5760 x 1080.  I am having trouble finding a good compression format to use.  Does anyone know of a format that will bring the file down to a useable size.

Thanks,  Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to elemme

The most important thing is what device and software will be used for playing the movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to elemme

The problem you are going to run into is that the more you compress the video the more motion and color artifacts you are going to get. There are several solutions out there to syncronize multiple streams of video. For large displays this is the preferred solution.

The other problem you are going to run into is that MPEG compression schemes have specific frame size limitations. You can easily come up with a frame size that just won't work for your specific desired codec.

It's not the size of the file that hangs up a system. It is the data rate. *8 GB or 400 GB does not matter if the data rate is within the limits that the playback system can handle.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to elemme

There are plenty of free disk test apps around.  ATTO, AJA and Blackmagic Design have good ones which are videocentric.

Mac:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550

Windows:

http://www.dulcesystems.com/html/win_bench.html

I've done a lot of big screen video production work, and I've never seen a system use such high res in one file before.  It strikes me as rather dangerous and hardware intensive.  I'd be far more inclined to reduce the material to 2 or three split clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to elemme

Short answer... data rate. There's a huge difference between having the GPU spit out info from a gameing engine and delivering video from a hard drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points