Skip navigation
Glitchy
Currently Being Moderated

How do change default save settings to origin file folder rather than last saved pathing?

Dec 9, 2013 7:40 AM

I'm not sure if this is something I can adjust in Adobe or if this is an operating system issue, but when I do save as, or export functions the default save folder is the last folder I saved to, rather than pathing to the folder where the file I'm working in originates. This is annoying for me as I jump around from project to project and I'm always having to direct my saves back to the folder it should go in, rather than the last thing I worked on. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to change this?

*I looked in the preferences and the closest thing I found was File Handling, but this doesn't have a default path save type of option.

I guess I should be specific. I thought this was across all of my Adobe programs, but I see in the Photoshop options, File Handling does have a checkbox for saving in the same folder. Is there a way to do this with InDesign also? That is the program that I use the most. I don't see it in the File Handling options within InDesign.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2014 4:03 PM   in reply to Glitchy

This has bothered me for years. Every time I get a new version of Indesign and open a file from an older version, I can't save the file without having to navigate to the origin folder EVERY TIME. I have thousands of files for hundreds of customers. Please Adobe, tell me a way to default save to a file's origin folder! I am losing years of my life from this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:07 PM   in reply to bat2144

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the InDesign forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 4:45 PM   in reply to Glitchy

Actually, we won't be able to help you. There is nothing within ID that you can change to affect the behavior.

I believe there may be some programs you can add outside of ID that will give you more, or better, options for quick links in the OS dialogs, but I've never bothered with looking for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It just seems like such a simple option. I have thought each time that they would finally add this and it just never happens. Is there any reasoning behind it?

I found a script than can batch save to the origin folder. But then every file I have is last modifed on the same day, which removes a critical sorting option.

So frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:52 PM   in reply to bat2144

You CAN solve it if you have a Macintosh computer. Spending about $35 will get you Default Folder X from St. Clair Software will save you a ton of time with your problem.

Here's a review of the product:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027192/apps-we-cant-live-without-defa ult-folder-x.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 6:01 AM   in reply to bat2144

Typically this only happens with a file operation that has not happened on a particular file previously, such as an initial save or export. Files that already exist should, in my experience, default to the folders where they live. The problem is most evident with legacy files you convert, or files opened from a template. Both are treated as new files (so you don't accidentally overwrite the originals), so have no location saved yet.

I agree that it's a pain, and I also think it ought to be possible to add a user preference like the one for relinking which sets a choice between the last used folder or the folder containing the link being replaced, which I find to always be set incorrectly for the current job, no matter how I leave it.  You can make a request, though: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points