Skip navigation
Dayana_™
Currently Being Moderated

How to make a 2 hour long dvd? With highest quality? PE12

Dec 10, 2013 10:52 PM

Tags: #adobe #premiere #avchd #elements #dvd #12 #mb #gb #ray #blu

I made a two hour long event which I plan on burning into a dvd with the highest quality. It's avchd files. I want to burn it in h.264 1920x1080i pal dolby. I then tried to export the file onto my computer but it showed the file size to be 36,000 which is about 35 gb. I need to know if I export it directly to a dvd, will the size be smaller or the same. If it will be a large 35 gb then I guess I'll need a bigger dvd gb size which all I can find is blu-ray single layers, but I only find 25gb, also do this recordable disks be allowed to play in any dvd player or just blu-ray? Any good cites to buy them cheap? Here are the pictures, first one is where it shows I want to export it to my computer, and the second is to dvd, (DVD is not put in.)

file://localhost/Users/Dayana/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-10%20at% 2010.49.09%20PM.png
file://localhost/Users/Dayana/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-10%20at% 2010.45.45%20PM.png
Please help and don't be rude if my question is "dumb." I'm new to this.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

This is not possible to do.

For one thing, DVDs are not AVCHD and they are not high defintion. DVDs are 720x480 standard definition video.

Second, a standard DVD holds less than 4.7 gigabytes of data -- approximately 70-80 minutes of standard definition full qualtiy video. You can not burn 2 hours of DVD video onto a standard DVD disc.

You can burn about 2 hours of high-definition video onto a BluRay disc. But, of course, this will be a BluRay disc, not a DVD. And you will not be able to play it on a DVD player.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

To fit 2 hours of video onto a DVD disc, one can use a DL (Double Layer) disc, or DVD-9. Then, using a Bit-Rate of about 7 - 8 MB/s, they will have the highest quality DVD-Video, possible, but as Steve Grisetti says, the video will still be SD (Standard Definition), and not HD, i.e. 720 x 480 (NTSC).

A BD (Blu-ray Disc), however, can give you an HD disc, but will require a BD burner on your end, a BD blank disc and then a BD player, or BD multi-drive on a computer, with BD playback software, on the viewer's end.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_ faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_ tips?view=all

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

DVDs are standard definition.

BluRay discs are high-definition.

You can also put AVCHD hi-def on a DVD -- but it will only hold about 20 minutes of video, and you will still only be able to play it on a BluRay player.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

The resulting SD (Standard Definition) DVD-Video will look good. It will NOT look as good as HD (High Definition), as the resolution is about 1/6 that of the HD material. To get an idea of the various formats, see this Image:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg (1).png

Compare the resolution of the 1080p vs the DVD. That is the difference.

Now, if the DVD-Video is played back on an up-rezzing DVD player, or most BD players (all of the better ones offer up-rezzing), the DVD-Video will look even better, but still below the resolution of BD (Blu-ray Disc). Those players have dedicated chips, to handle the up-rezzing, for display on an HD TV.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Referrring to your 2 hours Timeline in Premiere Elements

After you insert your DVD disc (type 4.7 GB/120 minutes) in the DVD burner tray, go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, what does the burn dialog show in the Quality area of that dialog for Space Required and Bitrate?

As a point of note, that 4.7 GB spec for the disc is in reality 4.28 GB. When you go to the DVD double layer single sided with spec 8.5 GB/240 minutes, that 8.5 GB is in reality 7.95 GB.

I am not completely convinced that you cannot get a good DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc 4.7 GB with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space. Let us see what the numbers look like.

If you decide to burn to a double layer single sided disc, just insert your double layer single sided disc into the DVD burner tray (assuming the burner supports this type of disc), go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with disc showing as the choice (no special designation for the double layer single sided disc). If your project is one for widescreen 16:9, then select the preset of NTSC or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. If your project is one for standard 4:3, then select the preset of NTSC or PAL Dolby DVD. Hit burn. (Also note before hitting burn what the Space Required and Bitrate are in the burn dialog).

But remember DVD-VIDEO is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 (PAL), not the 1920 x 1080 of AVCHD or Blu-ray.

Please let us know if you need clarification on anything written here. SG has repeatedly given you in this thread the information that you need to follow. My contribution is supplemental and but does suggest a bit of exploration before you come in on a verdict related to 2 hours of content for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes).

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to your results and the quality comparison of your 2 hours on the DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes vs DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes and your Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Is there any reason why you opted for such a low write speed (2.4X) for the Verbatim Double Layer Single Sided discs that you are purchasing?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

No particular write speed, but the 2.4X seemed on the low side. I do not use the double layer single sided DVD much, but when I have I have been using the 8X and getting good results and acceptable burn times.

What is the spec for the speed of your burner?

I found this online article points to the 2.4X write speed for the double layer single sided DVD. Some of the points made in the article are interesting.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/310105-Dual-Layer-Burn-Speed

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

My Verbatim DL's also burn at 2.4x. Now, I bought 1000, some years ago, and am now on about the last two spindles of 100 each. Once, I was using those quite often, so going though them quickly - not so much now, in retriement. Over the years, I have had only one return, and that was due to a client's older DVD player, that just would not play DVD-9's, that had been burned - only replicated DL's.

As PrE will do a survey of the speed of the burner, and then the media, choosing the fastest burn speed, one is relegated to using what the program decides. That is one aspect, that I like with ImgBurn, and Adobe Encore - I can adjust the burn speed down much slower. It really only takes a few moments more in the total process, and has been ideal for me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

In view of the continued mention of your selected disc with its disc speed, I thought that this article on optical disc drive burning and write speeds might be of interest

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2543

And, the use of the double layer single sided disc does not come with some mention of the potential consideration for break point. The concept can be found explained in the following

http://www.gearsoftware.com/howtoguides/dvdvideobreakpoint.php

In spite of all, your answers will come when you actually insert your disc in the burner, do the burn, observe the process, and observe your end product. I would still like to see the quality comparison of the end product when the burn to is to DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes and DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Please excuse if I go over some things that you aleady know, but again I do not want to take anything for granted that would prevent us from moving forward on your project.

When you wrote

When I go to Blu-Ray on the Status it says No Burners detected, and with AVCHD it says Busy.

1. Does your burn dialog have a field named burner location:? If so, does your Blu-ray burner show up as a choice in its drop down list?

2. And, with that "...with AVCHD it says Busy", have you selected Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc and inserted a Blu-ray disc instead of a DVD disc, when you get the Busy message? The choice of Blu-ray is a Blu-ray disc; the choice for AVCHD is only a DVD disc. So, please clarify that point.

3. Have you tried Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc with a DVD double layer single sided disc?

4. As a note..the maximum bitrate for burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes and 8.5 GB/240 minutes is the same, that is 8.00 Mbps. Whereas, the maximum bitrate is much higher for the AVCHD burn to DVD disc and the Blu-ray burn to Blu-ray disc (about 15.74 to 15.50 Mbps for AVCHD DVD, and about 20.19 to 24.0 Mbps for Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. More details on the exact values if needed.

What is the bitrate of the AVCHD file that you have imported to the Timeline? See if you agree...if the source has a higher bitrate than the export bitrate, would not you expect smaller file size for the export? And if the source has a lower bitrate than the export bitrate, would not you expect a larger file size for export?

Do some mini tests runs to prove or disprove that. Look at the Space Required and Bitrate reading in the burn dialog when you have a given disc in the burner tray.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...

Do you have the equipment that will play back AVCHD DVD as well as Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 9:30 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

We need to clarify.

There is no Bluray DVD.

You can only burn to Blu-ray disc format using a Blu-ray disc. Can you confirm that you are doing

Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray, inserting a Blu-ray disc into the Blu-ray burner tray, hits Burn, and within 20 seconds the Blu-ray disc is automatically ejected from the Blu-ray burner?

If so, is the message at that point "No Burners Detected".

Another if so, did this Blu-ray burner come built into the Macbook pro?

If Premiere Elements is not recognizing your present burner, presumed built into Macbook pro, then try an external Blu-ray burner, but make sure you can get your money back if it does not work.

Please consider the above.

More later. I will check your thread later in the morning to see what is happening.

ATR

Add On...Did you try another disc after the current one was ejected from the Blu-ray burner?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Looking forward to the results.

With those USB external burners see if the box says that it requires 1 or 2 USB connections.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

A while back I purchased an external DVD burner to go with a laptop. The burner came with a cable to handle the one or two USB requirements. As it turned out, I only needed one to get the burn to work well with the computer and the Premiere Elements and other burn to disc tasks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

>The blu ray burner I'm using is just PE12

That is the software... are you 100% sure that your hardware is a BluRay BURNER?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Interesting question regarding Premiere Elements 12 support or non support for BD-R or BD-RE 50 GB disc.

I have BD-R and BD-RE 25 GB, but not the 50 GB.

Where did you read that the 50 GB kind is not supported by Premiere Elements 12?

It is interesting to check out the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF on this issue. Adobe is generous in its details on supported discs for DVD (single and double layered single sided) and even Blu-ray BD-R and BD-RE 25 GB. But, it omits any mention of the Blu-ray 50 GB disc.

But, use of such a disc in Premiere Elements would seem to be consistent with having a burner that supports the disc type as well as a computer that has enough resources to hand a project of the size suggested by the need for such a disc capacity.

More later.

ATR

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Thanks for the screenshot. I explored the link

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-system-errors -freezes-burning.html

and found the text that was in context with your screenshot.

From Adobe document cited above...

2. Make sure that the project size does not exceed disc capacity.

#

If the project is larger than the maximum capacity of the DVD or blu-ray disc, you can't export it to DVD or blu-ray disc. If the project exceeds disc capacity, Adobe Premiere Elements displays a warning message and the Burn button is unavailable. A standard single-layer DVD holds about two hours of video. A standard dual-layer DVD holds up to four hours of video, depending on your transcode settings. A standard single-layer blu-ray disc holds up to approximately four and a half hours of high-definition (HD) video or 11 hours of standard-definition (SD) video. Adobe Premiere Elements supports only the single-layer Blu-ray format.

Since this is a generic Adobe document, I would prefer to see hands on verification on this. It may be as written, but then again it may not have been tested and/or updated for later versions after 50 GB Blu-ray disc came on the scene. I will see if I can get a BD-R 50 GB disc to look at its compatibility in Premiere Elements several versions including 12. Have you tried the BD-R 50 GB in your Premiere Elements 12?

More later.

ATR

Interesting question.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 8:57 PM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Are you using the BD-R 50 GB? Those are expensive. I need to see what is available in the BD-RE 50 GB. That will probably be even more expensive. Maybe I can catch a sale day?

I will see what I can find. Your information is very helpful, and I believe that further exploration of this matter will be beneficial to the Premiere Elements users to avoid their consuming expensive BD-R 50 GB disc needlessly.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Thanks for the update.

I will be ordering my Blu-ray 50 GB disc sometime today. Have not decided on the source yet. Still shopping.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 5:49 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

I have an LG internal Blu-ray DVD burner. The BD-RE 50 GB should be delivered today. So within the next few hours I should know if that disc will work for me in a Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray project.

With regard to your BD 25 GB disc and the error at 98%. Did the Quality area of the burn dialog show Space Required less than about 23 GB and did you have a check mark next to "Fit Contents To Available Space"?

More later.

Thanks for the update.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 8:51 AM   in reply to Dayana_™

Dayana

Mini test run.

The verdict is in on what worked for me. I was able to burn (LG Blu-ray DVD internal burner) the same Premiere Elements 12 Timeline content (1 min H.264.m2t clip) to Blu-ray disc format on Verbatim BD-RE 25 GB (2X) as well as Verbatim BD-RE 50 GB (2X).

I will repeat the test on Premiere Elements 11 in a moment and report back.

While I am doing these mini test runs, do you have any particular Timeline content that you would like me to incorporate into one of these test...specific duration, etc.? I will perform such tests consistent with my computer resources and how they relate to a 50 GB or less project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points