Skip navigation
NYYCL
Currently Being Moderated

Export an Adobe doc to edit in Word

Dec 11, 2013 5:16 AM

Need help to export an Adobe doc created in 'Indesign CS4' into a Word doc to edit it. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to NYYCL

Batch convert

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

Open your document

run the script - choose the output to be RTF.

If you have a bunch of documents in the same folder/subfolders

Run the script with no documents open and select folders/subfolders that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to NYYCL

Acrobat can also save as Word, and HTML, which can often give better results when opening in Word if the document is complex.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to NYYCL

Download the script and install it (see How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets), then double-click the name of the script in the scripts panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to NYYCL

I guess it wasn't clear that your initial document was a PDF. If you have Adobe Acrobat you can save it as a Word document as Peter has suggested. You cannot open a PDF directly on Indesign. You can place it but it won't be editable.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to NYYCL

There is no good path from InDesign to Word for making an editable word file that really looks like your InDesign layout. Th programs are fundamentally different.

You can export the stories from your ID file to RTF, which work can read, but that's not the same thing as removing the text and using the background to add new text in Word. It sounds to me like you should be removing the text in Acrobat pro, then saving the file in a image format that Word can import (looks like the options would be .png or .jpg), then make a new Word file and insert the image, but you need to understand that you will NEVER get as good a result doing layout in Word as you will get in InDesign.

Ann Marie Concepcion has an article you might find useful at HerGeekness Says: Convert Custom Letterhead to Microsoft Word Templates | CreativePro.com

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to NYYCL

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to NYYCL

NYYCL wrote:

I have a document in Adobe PDF. I want to remove the text and use the back ground to add new text.

You cannot really do this - PDFs are final format files - they are not intended for editing.

With Acrobat Professional you might be able to remove the text - line by line - and then Place the resulting PDF in InDesign - but that's a bit a nightmare.

NYYCL wrote:

I tried your colleagues suggestion to ‘open the document’, but all options to convert send me to purchase something else.

We are not colleagues - we are users of the software just like you. This is a user to user forum and not related to Adobe workers at all.

What is happening when you try to convert? You should just go to File>Save As and choose whatever format suits you.

NYYCL wrote:

I already have Indesign CS4, what more do I need to install.

Also can’t open the document in Indesign CS4, it refuses to recognise it, even though CS4 was used to create the doc in the first place.

You cannot open PDFs in CS4 - it was in no way ever intended to work that way.

PDFs are final files produced by InDesign (and other PDF makers) and they are not intended for editing.

All the editing should be done in the original file where it was originally made.

The only way to open a PDF in InDesign is to use the PDF2ID plugin I pointed to earlier in this discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to NYYCL

I'm confused now -- First you said you wanted to edit this in Word, but now maybe you mean you want to edit it in InDesign CS4, at least that's waht Eugene seems to think.

Can you tell what program you want to use to add new text?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter - the OP has suggested they have InDesign CS4 and even said they tried to open the document in Cs4.

The OP has indicated that CS4 was the application used to create the PDF.

The solution is to source the InDesign file.

As PDFs are final files created from InDesign and cannot be edited.

The OP needs to find the InDesign file with the extension of .indd

That will open fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to NYYCL

No there's no way to unconstruct a PDF accurately - without using the PDF2ID I pointed to earlier.

PDFs are final documents that are made for output, whether in print or on screen.

It's not a format for opening and editing as the structure of PDFs is vastly different to that of InDesign or Word for that matter.

You might be able to use Acrobat Professional - a free trial is available - and use File>Save As

Choose Microsoft Word

But bewarned - the quality will suffer greatly with images/logos etc.

Along with colour and other issues.

===========

You really should get in contact with the original designer.

Get the original files

And work from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

No there's no way to unconstruct a PDF accurately - without using the PDF2ID I pointed to earlier.

That's right. You need the original file…

Just a thought, no solution for you:

Technically and theoretically for Adobe it would be possible to iclude the IDML or IDMS representation of an InDesign file or a page as metadata or a second "information layer" inside an exported PDF (we already have something like an example for that functionality in Illustrator where you can chose to save the PDF representation of an AI file together with the AI contents), but I do not know of any plug-in or extension for InDesign that would exploit that possibility.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to NYYCL

The creator/desigener has gone, so I currently have only the PDF files to work from.

I have a document in Adobe PDF. I want to remove the text and use the back ground to add new text.

I am in your position at least once a week, and over the last decade I've found that the only really efficient solution is to get really fast at rebuilding stuff from scratch. Cracking PDFs open in Illustrator is useful here - Illy is not a general-purpose PDF editor, but I've found it to be useful when chopping up a PDF for re-use. Raster images get reprocessed in Illustrator, text gets harvested and re-typeset, and so on.

Acrobat Pro has a "collect images and save them in a folder" tool that I can't remember the name of - sometimes it is useful but so rarely so that I can't for the life of me tell you what it's called.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points