Skip navigation
BrandonCully
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get this effect on my drop shadow text in Illustrator? (Example provided)

Dec 11, 2013 10:27 AM

I'm interested in the drop shadow effect on the word Smores (the drop shadow consists of parallel lines instead of a thick line)

Thank you for any input!

http://www.thedieline.com/resource/11_2_2013_WilliamsSonomaHoliday2013_4.jpg?fileId=23825068

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to BrandonCully

Could have been done manually. Could have been done with a pattern fill. Or blends. Or brushes.

There are many different ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to BrandonCully

Make a repeating pattern of lines going at an angle. Then use transform to get this to offset as a drop shadow.  You can also use offset path if needed.

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 12.44.45 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to BrandonCully

Hello Brandon.

I have attached a file (below) that is another way of doing the effect you are after, hope you can follow my instructions, the effects are basic, however you can customise the attributes to your own requirements ans style.

I am working with Illustrator CS5.1 and I am assuming you know your way around the basic of Illustrator

Hope it is of help.

Screen Shot.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to BrandonCully

I would do it the way Mike suggested, with a few things differently.

Steps:

Make the text with no fill and stroke, but in the Appearance panel at the Type level add two fills.

Click on the swatches menu of the bottom fill and in the swatches flyout, click the first button at the bottom and choose Patterns > Basic Graphics > Basic Graphics Lines, and select a line swatch.

From the fx button of the Appearance panel select Distort & Transform > Transform, with the preview checked set the horizontal and vertical move as desired and apply.

Press R key on your keyboard then hold Tilde key ~ (under the Esc) key on  your keyboard and drag to rotate the pattern as desired. If necessary do the same while the Scale tool (hotkey S) is selected and in addition the Tilde hold Shift to scale the lines.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points